Monday, December 23, 2013

Potty Party!


The day after Thanksgiving is a day for lounging around the house for us.  We're really not Black Friday type of people.  We usually just stick around the house, eat leftovers, and decorate for Christmas.  Since we knew we were going to be home, Danny and I decided we had to get Johnny potty trained.  It's been so difficult to summon the strength to tackle this job.  I hate potty training!  More than any other maternal responsibility, I hate potty training.  But John is almost 3 1/2...the girls were both potty trained before their third birthday.  So it was time.  We told the kids a few days ahead of time that Friday would be Johnny's Potty Party, and everyone was excited!  Except maybe me. :)

A Potty Party works like this.  We stock up on any sugary drink the special kid wants...Hi-C juice boxes, Squeeze-Its, whatever.  And then they get to pick our their big kid underwear, and treats for every success.  Starting in the morning we let them drink until they can't drink anymore, and take trips to the potty every 10-15 minutes.  This method worked great for the girls, and it worked great for Johnny!  

Johnny was ready to be potty trained.  It didn't take too long before he had his first success, and earned his big treat!  As the day wore on, I started to forget to remind John to go potty.  I was too busy trying to put up Christmas.  At one point, Johnny came to tell me something.  In his special way of speaking, I couldn't be sure I was understanding him right.  It sounded a lot like he was saying that he had gone potty!  But that couldn't be right...I hadn't reminded him and I certainly hadn't taken him.  But sure enough, he had gone potty...all by himself...without a reminder!  Glory be, the kid was trained.  John was by far my easiest one!  I think in the few days afterward, he had maybe one or two accidents.  What a dream.

John, you're a big boy now!  We're so proud of you!!

No comments: