Friday, December 6, 2013

July Notables

July was one of the single most emotionally intense month of our lives!  One one hand, it was wretched knowing Luke's terminal prognosis.  On the other hand, it was a perfectly beautiful summer month and Luke was feeling great!  We made sure to cram it full of fantastic memories, and we got to see a lot of people we love.  Some events didn't make it into individual posts, but I wanted to give them a shout-out and a permanent place in our family history.

We had some very special visitors in July!  Sharon, my best friend and roommate from college, came to visit with her husband and two little girls.  It seems like a lifetime ago that it was just her and I wreaking havoc in Provo, talking about boys and talking about...well...boys. :)  Now we have husbands and kids and live thousands of miles apart!  But the great thing about living in Utah is people always find themselves back here for one thing or another, so you can keep in touch. :)


We also had a quick visit from my dear friend Beth and her family.  Beth was one of my very best friends in Lancaster, and she changed my life by introducing me to home birth and serving as my doula with Johnny.  She was a second mother to me when we had no family, and was always there to help take care of me or my children.  I love her to death!  It's been hard for her to be so removed during this whole experience with Luke, so the minute they were in the vicinity of Syracuse she just HAD to come give us both a big squeeze! 


Early in July, in fact during the 4th of July weekend while Megan and Aven were here, I took the kids and joined my Mom, Megan, Aven, Jenny, and her kids at the Farmer's Market in Downtown Salt Lake.  But to make it an adventure of Grandma Candy proportions, we took the Front Runner commuter train.  Johnny was absolutely enthralled!  And it really was a slick way to get the kids downtown. 



The Farmer's Market is one of my Mom's "have-to's" for the summer.  She went often with Rachel before she died, and that has only cemented my Mother's love of the Farmer's Market.  I love it, too!  They have the most beautiful produce, delicious foods, incredible arts and crafts, and weirdos to boot!  We ate apricots and cherries, as well as flavored honeys and European pastries with fresh local berries.  The kids got awesome balloon animals, and Sophie almost got eaten by a giant owl!



Once we had made our way through all the booths at the Farmer's Market, we decided to hop on the Trax and head to the Gateway Mall for lunch.  We gorged ourselves on delicious food from Costa Vida, and then made our way to Clark's Planetarium since that is where we were going to pick up the Trax back to the Frontrunner anyway.  We love the Planetarium!  For some reason, we never get sick of taking pictures on Mars.  Ever. :)



July, with all its craziness, was really about one thing for us.  Family.  It's interesting to me that July can be both a traumatic memory as well as a treasured memory.  I really think that is one of the blessings of the gospel.  Living the commandments doesn't keep us from trial and adversity, but it certainly affects how we deal with them when they come.  I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life.  I feel humbled and privileged to have been allowed by my Heavenly Father to live as a righteous child here upon the earth.  Everything in my life I owe to my Savior.  And I know that in the depths of despair He was there to keep Danny and I from sinking, and in the moments of joy He was there smiling with us, too. 

No comments: