Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Aunt Rachel's Day

December is the beginning of the big holiday rush.  But for us, we start December out with a little more perspective than we used to.  The 1st of December is the day Rachel, my youngest sister, died.  It's been four years now, and it's true what they say.  Time heals.  But more than that, an understanding of the Plan of Salvation heals.  And Danny and I, and our children, have been focused very much on that Plan this year.  So while there is indeed a certain sadness to this day, and there always will be, it doesn't carry the grief that it used to.  Do I wish with all my heart that my sister was still here, and that I would have been able to watch her grow and achieve her dreams?  Of course!  But I understand that while those things will never be, it will be alright.  It's made all right in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and in the gift of the resurrection that he gave to each and every one of us.  I will be with my sister again, and what a joyous reunion that will be!

In the meantime, December 1st is a day we talk about Rachel.  I take the time to tell my kids what happened to her, where she is now, and the influence she had on my life.  And we visit her grave every year the weather will permit.  December's a rough month in Utah... :)  But whenever we can make i, the kids LOVE going to Rachel's Place!




We love you, Rachel!  Once year closer to being together again!

No comments: