Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas With Grandma And Papa

After we said goodbye to my family, we took the kids back home for naps and some down time.  Plus, Danny and I had some meal prep to do!  Since we had the smoker, we volunteered to do the meat for Christmas dinner at Grandma and Papa's.  I really wanted to try chickens.  I had an image in my mind of beautifully golden whole chickens on a platter with all the garnishes.  Something akin to a traditional roasted chicken dinner, but smoked.  Rarely do my expectations become reality...but in this case, I couldn't find a single thing to be disappointed in!  The chicken turned out amazingly beautiful, and the platter was perfect!  I still sigh with contentment when I think about it. :)


On the menu with our amazing chicken was cornbread, green chile funeral potatoes, and a beautiful chocolate caramel mousse torte that Julie made.


She did a gorgeous job...and it was extremely rich and delicious!


Our kids have so much fun with their cousins.  And it's been a blast to watch these kids grow up together!  Everyone ate til they were stuffed...again...and we enjoyed talking about our respective Christmas mornings.  The time we take to just visit and be together as a family is my favorite part of the holidays.  Probably tied with the food. :) 




Then it was time for more presents, of course. :)  It was Papa and Grandma's turn!  For Papa, we put together a book of all the fun pictures from this year's BYU Football season for him to enjoy.  We wanted him to be able to see his legacy not only in his boys, but in his grandchildren as well.  He loved it!


And for Grandma we bought a beautiful Brighton necklace with the birthstones of her six children.  She loved it!  The granddaughters did, too. :)


Christmas was wonderful this year.  We had a perfectly exhausting day!  Once we were done with dinner, Danny and I could barely keep our eyes open anymore.  We took our happy children home, tucked them into bed, turned the lights out on the tree, and bid farewell to another Christmas.  As a child, I felt like Christmas took forever to come.  Now, I feel like I turn around and it's Christmas again!  But even though I feel like it comes faster and goes by faster, I'm appreciating it more and more.  

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: