Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas At Grandma Candy's

It's always a little tricky to come up with a gift for my Mom for Christmas.  But early in November, Jami and I started to have an idea.  What if we got Mom all new dishes?  We liked the idea.  So when I took one of my fun trips to Tai Pan, and noticed a huge sale on all their white dishes, I decided we needed to do it.  Jenny got on board, and I went shopping.  I had so much fun picked out these dishes!  We thought it would be beautiful to go all white.  But the beauty of it was that we picked all different kinds of dishes.  It would be an eclectic mix and match kind of thing.  That way, she can add to it without trying to match it.  And if a dish breaks, no problem!  Pick up another bowl or plate and voila!  All better!  As I was doing my shopping, I realized we had enough money to do 12 sets and still do nice glasses...and I found the perfect goblets!  After doing all the shopping (and this was well before Thanksgiving...how on top of things are we?), Jeff decided that if we were going to do new dishes, Mom needed new silverware too.  So Jeff and Jami added some beautiful silverware and the set was complete!  But we couldn't very well just hand her boxes of dishes.  No...where's the fun in that?!  Since Mom was at our house for Christmas Eve, Jenny and Jessie played the elves and set up Mom's table beautifully for the brunch we planned.  The brunch, of course, was planned specifically to have everyone there to give Mom her gift.  Jenny and Jessie did an amazing job with the table.  I couldn't believe how beautiful it was!  





We were so excited!  We made Mom wait in the garage until everything was ready, and then we told her she could walk into the house.  She was so surprised!  She couldn't believe how beautiful everything looked!




I love it when a gift is just perfect, and you get that reaction you were hoping for!  Our brunch was all ready to go, so I started to get the kids assembled so we could eat.  But then Jenny said she needed all of us to turn around, that there was one more big surprise.  I had absolutely NO idea what she could possibly be talking about!  So we all turned around and waited until Jenny said to look.  And lo and behold...it was Nick!  My brother had flown in from Boston the night before to surprise my Mom!  Way to totally trump the dishes, Nick. :)  


Well, once everyone had calmed down, we decided that it was definitely time to eat.   We had two different types of delicious breakfast casseroles, overnight caramel rolls, fruit, milk, and juice.  It was delicious!  But the kids could only be placated for so long.  They knew there were more presents to open!  Grandma Candy does something neat with her presents for the grandkids.  They each get to open a present...but the gifts stay at Grandma's house so that they can have fun things to play with when they come to visit.  The kids love it!


After presents, it was time to play and enjoy some time together.






We're a big group, and we were missing about half of us.  Someday, maybe we'll see a Christmas morning with us all together.  Merry Christmas to my crazy family!

No comments: