Sunday, December 8, 2013

August

August was awesome!  And as I'm doing all this catch-up blogging, I'm realizing the break neck speed with which we lived our lives during this summer!  It's like we were running from something... ;)

There were some fun things that happened in August that didn't make it into individual posts.  This catch-up blogging is different for me!  So here's some more fun stuff that we did, and awesome people we saw, and fantastic memories we made in August...

Our very dear friends the Overs came to visit on August 1st.  We miss them so much!  It was so nice of them to come all the way over to our house to visit.  The kids loved their reunion.  Especially the girls.  Lizzy and Claire were very best friends, and since we've moved poor Lizzy has been the only girl in Primary in her age group.  So it was nice to be together again!  And Danny and I loved getting the chance to just visit with Jon and Andrea.  Our friendship is so effortless, and even though we've been apart for two years, it was like no time had passed at all.  Friends are such a blessing, no matter how old you are!



When Jeff and Jami were out during July, Jeff had driven his Camaro when the travel plans changed at the last minute with Luke's prognosis.  So, the Camaro stayed here when they left for their vacation with the intention that Jeff would come pick it up at some point.  In the meantime, he told Danny and I to take the car on a hot date.  So we did!  Danny and I would never have considered ourselves sports car people.  Turns out, we've just never been properly introduced!  Danny loved driving a car with so much power, and I think he looked pretty amazing driving such a beautiful car!



Johnny and the girls were obsessed with the Camaro.  Johnny couldn't get over the fact that it was just like Bumblebee from "Transformers".  I'm sure he'll grow into that driver's seat, whether I like it or not. :)


The girls agreed that it was pretty awesome that Uncle Jeff's car was just like Bumblebee...only red instead of yellow.  They decided that Jeff's car should be named "Rosebee", and be Bumblebee's girlfriend.  Ah, girls... :)


As if spending time with the Overs wasn't enough, we had another visit from the Robison clan!  Unfortunately, Justin wasn't able to make it.  But Toshi brought the kids and some dinner and we had a great time.  Danny set up his new BYU canopy for the kids to eat under, and the big "Y" curtain made a perfect backdrop. :)  It was with the purchase of the BYU canopy that Danny finally admitted to himself that he has a sickness.  He will never own enough BYU apparel or merchandise. :)  There are worse things!



It's always hard for us to say goodbye!  Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we're with our BFFs again...



In the middle part of August, Claire and I went on a special date together to the salon when I had a hair appointment.  My cut and color took over three hours, and Claire was awesome the whole time!  She loved being there with me, and I have to say I loved having her there with me.  She was just so grown up about it!  It made me realize how much fun we're going to have as she gets older, and that it's important for us to have a friendship now if we want one then.  Good thing I like her so much! :)


We had a lot of awesome visitors over the summer, not the least of which was one of our very favorite techs from Primary's.  Lyndsi Miggin was one of Luke's most favorite techs, and when other techs couldn't get his vitals, Lyndsi always could.  When she got word of Luke's terminal prognosis, she contacted me and asked if she could come visit.  Of course!  She's from right here in Syracuse, so it was pretty convenient.  I loved getting to talk to her again.  She became a close friend during all those days in the hospital.  And it was really nice to talk to someone about everything that was happening with Luke that understood the cancer side of it as well as the spiritual side of it.  Lyndsi is a very special friend, and we are so happy she came to visit us!  Especially since she's heading to New Zealand to serve her mission.  Both Lukey and I look forward to her visit when she gets home!!


One of the highlights of the month was our visit with Elder Perry.  I covered this visit in detail in Luke's blog, but I thought I should hit the high points here as well.  Obviously, the chance to visit was an Apostle of the Lord was amazing.  We talked about Luke, and he gave us wonderful counsel and advice.  And when Danny asked Elder Perry if he would give us each a blessing, he was happy to do so.  Danny and Elder Perry gave Luke a blessing first, and then me.  When it came to Danny's turn, Elder Perry sought the help of another General Authority, Elder Arnold.  What an amazing experience, and we realize how incredible of an opportunity it was.


August was also Luke's debut in Danny's parents' ward.  Aunt Julie had her mission farewell on August 18th, so of course Luke was coming with us to Sacrament Meeting!  Look at these handsome men in their matching ties.  And their names are something like their ties...Roger Wood, Daniel Roger, John Roger, and Luke Daniel!  I love it.


The weeks after Luke's terminal prognosis were truly blessed weeks.  I know there were moments of deep pain, of grief, and of fear.  But I also see how the Lord helped us see the joy that was still so abundant in our life.  We learned how to focus on our faith, and not on our fear.  And that gave us hope.  And if you have hope, you have happiness.  True and abiding happiness.

No comments: