Thursday, January 27, 2011

This is Life

Danny and I have been feeling a little bit of a funk lately.  Who doesn't this time of year?  It's January, for heaven's sake.  And even in sunny So Cal, you can't escape the downer from the holidays that seems to embody this first month of the year.

But for us, it seems like more.  And after many conversations, I think we've realized something.  We are in a totally new phase in our life!  Since we decided to get married, our life has been a whirlwind of major events.  Just 2 weeks after our honeymoon, we find out we're expecting our first child.  Then when Claire is only 7 months old, we find out that Sophie is on her way!  Then just less than a year after that, we're graduating and moving to California to start a career.  And then just a few months after we get settled, Johnny's on his way!  

Now Johnny is five months old, and I've recovered from being pregnant (physically AND emotionally!)  It's crazy to say, but life for us here in the Call house is...stable.  And if feels really, really weird!  :)  It's a good weird, though.  We have our "30 Before 30" list, and the time and means to do it.  I'm Living The Life, and feeling great.  The kids are all healthy and growing and getting cuter by the minute.  And Danny is tearing it up at work!

I think this new stable time in our lives feels weird because for once, we don't know what's on the horizon.  And that can be a bit unsettling.  But as I've watched our family in the last couple of weeks, I've realized that I don't want to get too caught up in what tomorrow is going to bring.  Because today is awesome!  I have the most blessed life.  I love that I can capture what my life is like right now through this blog.  It's really helped me to appreciate the smaller things.  Somehow I know that these small things now are going to be big things later, and I don't want to forget.

So, here is a peek at what January has been like for us.  And when I look at these pictures, I can't seem to feel that funky feeling anymore.  I'm just overwhelmed with how joyful my life is!  Life really is good, and I'm confident it's only going to be better.


We gave potty training a try for Sophie early in the month.  She started out great!  Here she is, in her big girl panties and clutching her potty treat.  Success!  Sophie was ready!  Things went great for a couple more times.  But then the accidents started.  And I realized that Mama wasn't ready to potty train!  We've put away the potty treats for the time being.  Maybe in a month or two...or three...we'll try again.  I really don't mind changing diapers that bad. :)


Claire and Sophie really are best friends.  And I've loved watching their friendship develop as Sophie gets older and can play more on Claire's level.  Sure, they fight over who gets to play with the Belle figurine, or whose turn it is to pick the movie.  But mostly, they love to play together.  I'm grateful we had them so close.  They'll always have a friend.



Seriously, these girls crack me up!  I was finishing my workout one morning, and in walks Sophie with a ball under her shirt and a basket on each arm.  She said, "Bye, Mama!  I'm going shopping."  I couldn't stop laughing!  I just had to get a picture.  And when Claire saw the fun I was having with Sophie, she went and got her own "baby" to put in her tummy!  I have such stinkin' cute girls...


If you could take a picture of happiness, this is what it would look like.  The love of my life holding my three precious children, all in their jammies on a Saturday morning.  It doesn't get better than that.


I've mentioned that the girls love playing together.  This was just too cute.  Again, while I was working out, Claire decided she needed a haircut.  Sophie was happy to oblige!  I'm pleased to say, there were no actual scissors involved.  Just a lot of unmitigated adorableness!  


And finally, another parental payday (we've had a few so far)!  I wasn't around to witness this particular miracle, but Danny told me all about it.  Apparently, while I was out delivering a meal to a dear friend after her amazing home birth, Danny told Claire she could have dessert IF she cleaned her room.  I only wish there was a before picture, because I guarantee that room was a disaster zone!  Danny was busy doing the dishes (I know, awesome husband, right?), and had forgotten about Claire's ultimatum.  But then Claire came running in the kitchen and exclaimed, "I did it, Dad!  I'm all done!"  Danny skeptically went to inspect Claire's work, and was shocked to see a perfectly spotless room!  A-MA-ZING!  Claire lives her life in la-la land.  I can't get her to stay focused on just getting the toys back in the toy box, much less cleaning her entire room!  But maybe, just maybe, we're getting the message through that wonderfully cute head of hers.  Just maybe. 

So there you have it.  January has been a pretty good month after all!

3 comments:

David and Camillia said...

You do have some pretty cute kids. :) I love all the pictures.

Justin and Toshi said...

ADORABLE! Love the pics of the girls playing together! Did you get Sophie Elmo panties?! They look just like Taija's! I hear ya on the whole potty training thing...Taija had been doing so well and then today happened?! I REALLY want to revert back to the diapers, but am afraid if I do this time there will be some pretty heavy consequences since we have been successful for all but one of the four days...

Naomi and Family said...

Hey, you guys are amazing!! I am so glad life is so awesome!!! Really, you deserve every happiness!!! Your kids are adorable!!!! And let me just say, you make amazing soup!!! :) Thanks for your friendship, it means more than you know!