Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Birthday, Rachel!

December 22 marked Rachel's 18th birthday.  Danny and I felt it was important to be in town for the big day.  We left California on the very rainy afternoon of the 21st, and drove through consistent rain all the way to St. George.  We stayed the night there (thank you, Priceline!), and continued on through more rain until we made it to Layton in the early afternoon of the 22nd.  It was so nice to be home!  We first went to Grandma and Papa Call's to unload the car and get everyone changed.  Then we made our way to Grandma Candy's for Rachel's birthday dinner.  I wanted to stop and see Rachel's new headstone on our way, and to give her a shout-out on her big day.  I would have LOVED to take a picture, but it was literally a downpour.  Next time.  The stone is beautiful though, and fits her perfectly.

We made it to Grandma Candy's and started dinner.  Rachel's favorite!  Beans, chili, homemade tortillas, and fried chicken tenders.  Seriously good food any time, but especially good after being in the car all day!  The ladies got to work, and Danny watched the kids...


I love cooking, but I really love cooking with my Mom and sisters.  It's just fun to be in the kitchen together.


We ate until we were literally bursting at the seams (I may or may not have had to unbutton my jeans), and then we set the kids loose to play.  I didn't see Claire and Isabelle until we had to round Claire up to go back to Grandma and Papa's house were we were sleeping!  I did manage to catch some cuteness between Sophie and Eli, and Eli and Johnny...


Sophie has a hard time playing with Claire and Isabelle for very long.  She's just a little too young right now to keep up with their imaginary play.  However, she LOVES showing Eli how to do just about everything!

And while these two boys may be in different developmental stages right now, they're only about 10 months apart.  By the time next Christmas rolls around, these two will be peas in a pod.  I suspect they know it, too!


It was a wonderful evening!  We all had Rachel on our minds, and I don't have to say how much we missed her.  Happy Birthday, Rachel-Babes!  We love you!

No comments: