Monday, October 1, 2012

To My Sophie, On Her Birthday...


Oh, Anne-kins.  I can't believe I'm writing you another letter!  It really doesn't seem like that long ago that I was writing you a letter for your third birthday.  This year has really just flown by.

You've grown up so much this year, Sophie.  And things haven't been easy for our family.  We told you on your last birthday that we were going to be having another baby, and you were thrilled!  You spent the majority of the year waiting for your baby brother Luke.  You were patient, most of the time, with my limited patience and abilities as my belly grew and my energy waned.  And ever since Luke arrived, you have been his greatest friend.  You are my best helper with him...always willing to give him his binkie or bounce him in his bouncey seat.  

In a matter of weeks after finding out about our new baby brother, we told you that we were going to be moving away from California and back to Utah.  You were excited to go live with Grandma and Papa, but it was while living there that we learned more about you.  You are a very sensitive little girl, Sophie.  You would cry at night that you missed our "regular house" in California.  That you just wanted to go home.  The change in our surroundings was hardest on you.  You went through a phase of "freak-outs" almost every single night.  Your Dad and I were beside ourselves on how to help you.  But we felt prompted that you were just feeling unsettled and insecure with all the change, so we did our best to be patient with you and ride it out.  Sure enough, you out-grew that phase.  We're pretty sure we've left the freak-out stage behind us, thank goodness!  

You are still so attached to your Daddy.  Try as we might, we just can't keep you in your own bed at night.  But between us, we've come to a compromise of sorts.  You have to go to bed in our own bed, which you are getting pretty good at, but you know you have a "little bed" next to Daddy's side of the bed that you can come sleep in if you need to.  While I have no idea when this phase will end, I once again trust that you'll work it out.  I've learned that everything you do, especially the things that are most difficult for me to deal with, are because you need something.  So as soon as you're ready, I'm sure you'll sleep through the night in your own room.  In the meantime, your "little bed" will be right where you need it.

With all the change in your life this year, some things haven't changed a bit.  You are still the world's most stubborn child!  When you've decided something is going to be a certain way, you will wait as long as it takes for it to be that way.  Hence the aforementioned "freak-outs". ;)  But you are also still the sweetest child we have.  You remind me and Daddy all the time that "we are the best parents in the whole wide world".  You're the first to notice if I'm wearing a new shirt or did my hair a different way, and then tell me how pretty I look.  You worry about your brothers' and sister's happiness, and almost always accommodate them, just so they'll be happy.  You are a wonderful sister.

You still have so much passion inside that little body of yours, Soph.  Daddy and I are still hoping that we can help guide you and your passion to great things.  If how you've grown and matured this last year is any indication, we're doing a good job.  You continue to love Primary, and gave your first talk this year.  You did great!  You love to pick the songs before bed, and you say the sweetest personal prayers.  You spend so much time blessing everyone in your life, and spend very little time on asking for anything for yourself.  You're an example to me.

You grow more beautiful every day, and I can honestly say you amaze me every day!  You're so smart, and so energetic, and so enthusiastic.  You are your own girl, and you love life.  You remind me of your Aunt Rachel sometimes.  Maybe the two of you have a connection of some sort.  You talk about Aunt Rachel all the time, and how much you miss her.  You even asked to put a picture of her in your room.  You really are looking forward to the time when the two of you will be together again.  Your love for your late aunt is yet another indication of how sensitive and loving you are.  

In the last four years, you've taught me and your Dad a great deal about parenting, and the rewards that are a part of that sacred calling.  I love you, Sophie Anne!  I had no idea the precious gift the Lord was giving me when your Daddy placed you in my arms for the first time.  I'm humbled and grateful to be your mother.  Happy Birthday, my sweet girl!

No comments: