Thursday, October 25, 2012

Five Months


Five months, already?  That means that after next month, we'll be closer to Luke being a year old than being a newborn.  I hate it when that happens...

This last month for Luke has been marked by yet another ear infection, a round of antibiotics, and two rounds of ear drops.  Earlier in the month, Luke just quick sleeping again.  It took me three nights of being up with him every hour before I realized that the only other time this had happened, he had an ear infection that we didn't realize he had until his ear drum ruptured.  Oops.  I had this realization on a Friday night, and we already had an appointment set up for Monday morning.  Luke needed a weight check after his well-child appointment to make sure he was gaining weight again after the stomach virus he had before that appointment.  Seriously, I think Luke is definitely our sickest baby yet!  Anyway, instead of taking him to Urgent Care over the weekend,  I decided to hold out until Monday morning.  Turns out, Dr. Baur thinks his ear drum burst again.  Mother of the Year, right here, folks!  Poor guy started his first set of ear drops and his antibiotic.  I was religious with the administration of both, not missing a single dose.  But alas, after ten days, his ear was still oozing something awful, and we're back on the ear drops.  Hopefully, when we go back in next week, his ear will be clear enough to see if the ear drum has healed or not.  If we still have an issue with infection, Dr. Baur wants to start talking about tubes.  We're praying it heals up.

But even with all this sickness for Luke, he's still just the happiest baby we've ever known.  He's still our Mr. Smiles!  He has become very social, and loves to interact with his siblings.  He does seem to have a particular soft-spot for Sophie Anne.  That girl can make Luke laugh just by sitting next to him.  Which I find kind of endearing, since he looks so much like her.  He has also discovered the bouncer, and if I put a pillow underneath his dangling feet, he'll bounce til he can't take it any more!  Good times...

We also made the transition this month into his crib.  He's still in our room, though.  I think it's going well, though it's hard to tell with all the ear problems.  But mostly, I think he does well.  He still likes to be swaddled, but does end up pulling his arms out at some point.  I think he'd love to take regular naps, but the school drop-off/pick-up schedule just kills that.  I didn't realize how much leaving for the school run interrupted the boys' schedule until Fall Break, when both boys napped wonderfully...in their beds!  But what to do?  I'll be doing this run for the next...well...5 years or so... :)

Speaking of figuring it out, I sure hope Luke figures out how to roll over soon.  I feel like he's totally behind schedule for that!  He grabs his feet and rolls to his side, but that's it.  No indication that he's even slightly interested in rolling all the way over.  More on that next month...I hope! :)


Here's how our 5-month-old Luke is growing:

*Graduated to 9 month clothes
*Still wears a size 2 diaper, though if the blowouts are any indication, he's ready for 3's
*Wears a size 2 shoe...when he wears them
*Loves his binkie, binkie lanyard, hands, blanket...anything he can get in his mouth
*Has started playing with toys
*Loves the bouncer!
*Found his feet, and thinks they're pretty neat
*His eyes are still gray, and totally cool
*Loves to talk and sing...especially at about 2 am
*Thinks Steve from "Blue's Clue's is hilarious!
*Always crosses his feet when in a seated position
*Tolerating the car seat better
*Loves story time with Daddy


We love you Luke-Son!  Like your Daddy says, you're one of the good ones. :)

1 comment:

Naomi and Family said...

Poor baby! Poor you guys! I think you should look into the oils from your mother in law. She does do terra right? Melalueca is good for ears, I just put a little inside the ear and rub some outside the ear (right when the infection begins) I don't think it does much once it's taken hold.... and the digestzen for stomach flu is amazing. I am sure you have heard all of this before, but those two things have helped us so much with those two problems I of course must "share the news". Anyway, he is one of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen! You guys make beautiful kids!!