Monday, October 22, 2012

Black Out!!

For Danny's birthday, my Mom got him tickets to the BYU Homecoming game, and offered to watch the kids for us.  This was such an awesome gift!  Danny and I haven't been to a BYU Football game together since before Sophie was born, so I was pretty excited about that.  But then to add a babysitter to the deal?  And a babysitter that would watch the kids all day?!  Seriously, this was the birthday gift that just kept on giving!

BYU was playing Oregon State, and as I mentioned it was also the Homecoming game.  I'm assuming it was due to that special occasion that it was also declared a Black Out Game.  Instead of wearing our blue game day shirts, we were to wear black.  Of course, you could purchase your Black Out t-shirt for a wallet gouging $15.00, but we opted to just wear the black that already existed in our closet.  :)  Kick-off was set for 1:35 in the afternoon, so we dropped the kids off Grandma Candy's at about 10:30 am for a day of fun.  Danny even arranged for us to take the Jeep, so it really was like being child-less again.  So fun!

We got to Orem early, successfully beating the game day traffic, and stopped for some lunch at "5 Guys".  Nothing like a delicious burger to get you in the mood for some college football on a gorgeous October afternoon.  Then we headed towards the stadium.  We found our seats, way at the top of the south end zone, and after catching our breath (those were some serious stairs!), we took it all in.  Pretty impressive, to say the least!


The fans did an awesome job of wearing black.  And Danny and I were pleasantly surprised to see the end zones and the "Y" in the center of the field painted black.  It was a really cool effect!  But what was even cooler were the uniforms.  You can kind of see them out on the field...


But here's a better look:


Seriously.  Cool. :)  I could get used to those uniforms.  I think the players were pumped to play in the Black Out uniforms, and to the Black Out crowd, because they played awesome and were tied going in the 4th quarter.  This is a big deal, because we've struggled this season and we were playing against a team that was ranked 10th in the nation.  Then, things fell apart and we ended up losing 42-24.  So disappointing.  Danny and I stayed til the end, as we watched all the fair-weather fans empty the stadium minutes before the game was over.  That's just the way we roll.  We're real Cougar fans! :)

More than six years ago, the morning after Danny had kissed me for the first time, he called me (or IM'ed me, I can't remember now).  He said that he really should have asked me this very important question before he kissed me.  I got nervous.  Then he asked me if I would promise to attend or watch every BYU Football game, and allow him to explain the finer points of the game. :)  I, of course, replied to the affirmative! Then, with a sigh of relief, he asked if I would be his girlfriend.  You know, since we had gotten the important stuff worked out. :)  I'm proud to report that we've both held up our ends of the bargain, when at all possible.

Danny loves BYU Football.  And while I was a fan before I fell in love with this incredible man, I'm a real fan now.  BYU Football is a family affair at our house, and it's a time of year that we relish in and look forward to.  Danny and I loved our time together at Lavell Edwards Stadium, feeling for all the world like college sweethearts again.  We're so grateful for my awesome Mom who was so generous with her time, and gave our kids a fun day without us.  Most of all, I'm so amazingly grateful for my best friend and sweetheart, and real Cougar fan.  I love you, Sweetheart!


Happy Birthday...again!  And GO-OO-OO-OO COUGARS! :)

No comments: