Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Break in the Routine

Danny and I thrive on routine.  I love schedules and check lists.  I love knowing what I can expect the next day before I go to sleep at night.  And I've gotten our lives running pretty smoothly lately, even with three kids under the age of 4 and a husband that works and goes to school and serves in his calling.  Not to mention a new work-out and nutrition regimen for me.  And it's all thanks to a good routine.  A routine that's driving me CRAZY!!!

I've been living in a dichotomy for a few weeks now.  I'm very proud of how I'm managing our household and keeping the kids eating and napping as they should.  But I haven't had a speck on spontaneity in weeks!  I've been craving...something...anything that was out of our ordinary.  And since food was out of the question as a way to calm my nerves , I was seriously in a rut!

So, Danny (who I'm sure was sick of hearing me gripe) came up with a plan.  We were going to have a picnic at the park!  Complete with some delicious Costco Pizza, of which I partook of gladly.  It was a beautiful 70 degree day, and the park was mostly empty.  It was wonderful!



We started out with our pizza picnic lunch.  Claire was making sure she had enough energy to play (thank you, Super Why!)  And Sophie was good enough to keep Johnny occupied while I enjoyed two heavenly slices of pizza.  You don't know how much you can appreciate pizza until you've deprived yourself of delicious things for over a month.


Sophie could hardly eat her pizza fast enough!  This girl loves to climb and swing and...well...anything else that is somewhat dangerous.  I thought she might be a little nervous to go down the slide.  Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking either!  Sophie took that slide like a champ!

Claire, on the other hand, was a little more reserved.  She picked at her pizza until I made her go play!  That Claire is just not into new experiences.  I'm going to love that about her when she's a teenager!


This was Johnny's first outing to a park, and I think he enjoyed the sunshine and fresh air.  I can't believe how big he's gotten.  I just love my Little Guy!


Danny and the girls played and played and played.  Well, Sophie and Danny played.  Claire stood at the top of the slide for a good 5 minutes or more.  Debating on whether or not it was worth the risk...


I don't think she ever went down. :)

Johnny enjoyed some time playing with Daddy on the playground, and then it was time to eat!


(Ok, so they were totally looking into the sun for this picture!  Still cute, though. :) )


We have a niece, Rose, that is one of the most adorable people you'll ever meet.  Ever since she was little, she has loved the simple things in life.  Particularly, rocks and sticks.  This love of rocks and sticks must be genetic then, so Sophie comes by it honestly. :)


I'm so glad that we had these girls so close together.  They are such good friends!  In fact, Sophie is having a very difficult time going to Nursery without Claire.  It's made us realize just how connected Sophie is to her big sister.  She's never done anything in her life, until Nursery, without Claire.  It makes Danny and I so happy to see them love each other so much.



And while Claire may be lacking in a sense of adventure, she certainly makes up for it in imagination!  That girl lives her life in her imagination.  She has been particularly into pretending that she is Rapunzel, from "Tangled".  She spent a decent amount of time by this tree trying to figure out how to use her hair to swing around it while saying "Best. Day. Ever!"  This girl is too stinkin' cute.


It was a wonderful afternoon, and just what Danny and I needed to recharge a bit.  And even though Sophie and Johnny went without naps, we were able to get all the rest of the shopping done and get home at a good time.  But I have to say, once we got home, I remembered why I stick to my schedule.  :)

No comments: