Wednesday, September 8, 2010

There's Really No Place Like Home

It was so wonderful to finally be home!  Danny, Johnny, and I were greeted with a clean and quiet house.  Grandma Candy had gotten everything cleaned up and the girls down for naps before we got home.  My clean and organized and quiet house was a sight for sore eyes (and ears, too!)

But it wasn't quiet for long...


After Johnny worked out the change in his surroundings, the girls were up and SO excited to see me and Johnny!  Claire immediately asked to "take care of Baby Johnny", which when translated means she wants to hold him. :)


Sophie did her part to help with her little brother, too...


We spent the next day or so just getting used to being home.  I had a lot of healing to do, and we were all still trying to recover from that 24 hours of labor!  So, we mostly just spent time loving the baby and talking over the whole experience.


Claire spent an inordinate amount of time playing games on Grandma Candy's phone.  But she was kind enough to show Johnny how the matching game works!  What a good big sister...


Sophie just wanted to be as close to Baby Johnny as she could.  She might literally love her little brother to death!  It's so cute...and a little scary. :)

And speaking of a little scary, Johnny was able to turn himself on to his side all by himself at four days old!  That is SO not normal for a newborn!  This little guy is a strong one.


All too soon, Monday came along, and Grandma Candy had to go home.  This was a hard goodbye!  Both my Mom and I were a little disappointed, because we had been looking forward to spending a whole week together at home after Johnny was born.  But with my hospital stay, we only got to be at home together for a day and a half.  We did spend a decent amount of time together at the hospital, just the two of us (and Johnny), and the girls loved the time they got with just Grandma Candy.  So, I suppose it worked out alright in the end.  It was still awful hard to have her go home.  Something about having a baby makes you want your own Mom around...



After Grandma Candy went home, Aunt Kris came and stayed with us for a while to help me adjust to being on my own.  The girls loved having her around, and she was a great help to me as I continued to heal.

Soon enough, our house was empty of guests, and we were left to try to figure out this new life of ours.  I walked into our bedroom on Saturday morning to see this wonderful sight, and I knew we were going to make it after all...


Johnny has made such an impression on our home already.  He is such a strong baby boy, both of body and spirit.  He is incredibly content during the day, and has slept an average of 7 hours a night since he came home from the hospital!  The only tough thing is finding something for him to wear.  He's completely skipped most 0-3 month clothes!

All in all, this has been one of the most incredible experiences of our life.  Danny and I have been so blessed by our incredible children, and the incredible ways that they've come to us.  It's humbling to know that the Lord trusts us to raise these strong spirits, and put them on the path to return to their Heavenly Father.  We didn't get much time with just the two of us after we got married, but we wouldn't trade it for the world.  Parenting has been, and continues to be, the ultimate experience!


4 comments:

C, J, T, and M said...

Two things... 1) he is so flip dang adorable cute. He makes me remember my little guy as a wee one. Enjoy him-there is nothing like the way boys love their mommas! 2) he is welcome to marry mu daughter. They were made for each other. Our mj would roll from side to side from day one. No luck sleeping her on her back! She rolled over at 5 weeks!

Naomi and Family said...

I am so glad I finally got to talk with you a little bit yesterday! I am so glad you guys are home and in great spirits! You are always such a great inspiration to me! Congratulations on your adorable family!!! We Morris' sure love you guys!

5moonbeams4us said...

Your family is so awesome Katie! I have to say though that Johnny looks so much like you, lucky boy! The girls are so cute and just shine looking at their baby brother; what an awesome sibling bond they will always have.

Nicole said...

He is soooo adorable! Glad things are going good for you guys!