Thursday, September 2, 2010

Here's Johnny!


John Roger Call
August 25, 2010
1:35 am
11 lbs 0 oz
22 1/4 inches long
Head circumference: 14 7/8 inches

We arrived at the hospital just after midnight.  Ali had called ahead and let the admitting nurse know that we were on our way, and why we were coming.  Danny, Beth, my Mom, and I headed to the hospital before Ali and Gretchen.  They stayed behind to pack up their gear and get the paperwork organized.

The ride to the hospital was a long one for me.  I was at peace with my decision to transfer to the hospital, knowing a c-section awaited me.  But contracting like I was while sitting in a moving vehicle was not as comfortable as it sounds!  I remember slipping into dreams between contractions, with my head resting on my mother's shoulder.  Once we arrived, Danny parked by the door and went to get me a wheelchair.  I remember gingerly getting in the wheelchair and then getting a monster of a contraction.  I was making some serious birthing noises, when out walked a young girl.  Needless to say, she tried not to look, but couldn't help herself.  I would have smiled to myself if I could have!

After I was done moaning like a wildebeest, we entered the Women's and Infant's Pavilion at the Antelope Valley Hospital.  Danny went in to fill out the paperwork while I labored in the hallway (seriously, people!) before they sent me to triage.  Once there, a nurse came in to ask all the same questions they asked in admitting and get me hooked up to the fetal monitor and an IV.  It was after that that we met my doctor, and things got interesting...

The doctor (who shall remain nameless) came in and introduced himself with his arms folded across his chest. He immediately asked me where my midwife was.  I told him that she was on her way.  He asked me what she had told me that made me think it was okay to attempt a VBAC at home after two cesareans.  I told him that it was MY decision, and that I still felt that it was the right one.  (Bear in mind this conversation is happening while I'm lying on a triage bed in labor.)  He proceeded to tell me that he felt compelled to let me know that there was a good chance that I was going to lose my uterus, possibly my baby, and that at the very least he would probably have to deliver a "bad baby", and that this wasn't fair to him because now HE was the delivering physician that would have to deliver a "bad baby" even though if I were his patient he NEVER would have let me do something like this.  I calmly (as I could) pointed out that ACOG had just revised their position on VBACS, changing the guidelines to include VBACS for double-section mothers.  He shook his head and emphatically stated that that would never happen.  ( For any that are curious, check out ACOG's July newsletter on their website for the press release! :) )  

Words don't do the atmosphere in that triage room justice.  He was just so hostile.  Beth and Danny did a great job NOT saying anything back to him, and I decided it was best to concentrate on my continuing labor than fight with this obstinate obstetrician.  His parting remark was "I guess I'll have to take it upon myself to re-educate your midwives as to what is an acceptable amount of risk".  I looked up at Beth, and she leaned down and whispered to me that she would go and intercept Ali before she met with this doctor, to make sure she was prepared.  I was left in that triage room with Danny and a broken heart.  I prayed that Heavenly Father would keep Ali from getting hurt.  I pleaded to know why things were going so awry.  And I prayed that the pain would be a little more bearable until I was able to get my spinal block.  

Danny and I were in that triage room for at least an hour before they were ready for me, and wheeled me down to the OR.  I said goodbye to Danny in the hall when they took him to another room to be dressed for the surgery.  Then I met my anesthesiologist, who was an answer to my prayers.  He was such a kind person, and I was honest and told him how nervous I was to have this doctor do my surgery.  I told him that I was pretty sure he was mad at me, and asked Akosh (that was the anesthesiologist's first name, since I couldn't pronounce his last name) to make sure the doctor was nice to me.  He promised that everything would be fine, and agreed to talk to me until Danny got in the room.  He'll never know how much I needed a kind soul at that moment, and I am so grateful that he was there.

The spinal block wasn't bad at all, and the wave of relief from the contractions was heavenly!  Before I knew it, Danny was at my right side, and they were beginning the cesarean I had tried so hard to avoid.  It didn't matter though, because I knew that I was going to finally meet my son!  It only took about 10 minutes once they started cutting before I felt the tell-tale tugging that I know is the birth of my child.  And then I heard it...the strongest cry I have ever heard!  I heard it almost immediately once he was taken out of me.  And I knew he was perfect and healthy and strong!  Everyone in the room commented on how big he was, and rushed him over to the scale.  All I heard was "5000 grams!", and Danny telling me that our Johnny was 11 lbs.  Eleven pounds!



I listened to my son scream at his new world while his Daddy talked in a soothing tone, saying hi and telling him it was alright.  I closed my eyes and said a quick "thank you" to my Heavenly Father before I started shaking uncontrollably from the spinal block.  Then came the vomiting.  But after that was all done, a pediatric nurse came to my left side and held my son to my face to I could see him and kiss him.  That was one of the most precious moments of my life.



He was here!  Danny left with Johnny to the recovery room to finish his measurements and tests and such, while they cleaned me out and stitched me back together.  After about 20 minutes, I was wheeled into the same recovery room and they gave me some more drugs to stop the shaking while I watched them finish up with Johnny.  Then, about 30 minutes after he was born, I was able to hold my son and nurse him.  This was such an answer to many heartfelt prayers.  I had to wait anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to see my girls after they were born.  I hated that part.


After I fed Johnny, they took the three of us to the room that would be our home for the next 3 1/2 days.  I was happy to learn that the Women's and Infant's Pavilion didn't have a functioning nursery for healthy newborns.  They stay in the same room as the parents.  Danny had a cot to sleep on, so the three of us were able to be together the whole time.  It wasn't the same as home would have been, but it was close...and definitely SO much better than it was in the past.  Danny and our nurse got Johnny bathed in our room while I dozed in and out of consciousness in my bed.




Once he was all clean and smelling good, I nursed him again before we all crashed.  I remember looking at the clock before closing my eyes...it was 4:35 am.  It had been 27 hours and 15 minutes since I had first started timing contractions.  What an incredible day (and then some!) it had been.  The birth of my first son was nothing like I had planned it to be.  And it wasn't what I had worked for.  But in the end I had a perfect, beautiful, strong baby boy.  And that's what was important.

3 comments:

Justin and Toshi said...

Oh Katie he is absolutely beautiful!!! I love the pics taken right after their 1st bath - so clean and healthy! I can not even imagine having to deal with an OB that had hostile feelings toward me without even knowing me...what a jerk! But glad ALL things worked out..can't wait to meet him!

David and Camillia said...

He is so precious! What a cute boy you have! Its sounds like quite the story you will have to tell him one day. I am glad that you were able to hold him so soon after that is great! Love you guys hope you are doing well. :)

C, J, T, and M said...

Although the experience wasn't exactly what you had planned the outcome was exactly the same...and wouldn't you say that it was perfect! You are such an incredible mother and a wonderful example of love for your children.