Sunday, September 5, 2010

The first few days...

Whoever said that a mother gets to rest in the hospital after the baby is born was lying. :)  After finally getting to sleep at almost five in the morning, it was a short and frequently interrupted night (or morning?).  Nurses came in every 30 minutes or so to check on my vitals, and to take Johnny's blood sugar levels.  I think I tried to sleep until about 8:00 or so, at which point I decided it was a lost cause.  I called my Mom to see how she had slept and to let her know that visiting hours began at 10:00, and that she HAD to see this cute grandbaby as soon as possible!


Can I just reiterate how wonderful it was to have my Mom here for all of this?!  While my Mom stayed with me and cuddled Johnny, Danny went to pick up the girls from the Tolman's house where they had spent the night.  He returned to the hospital with Claire and Sophie so they could meet their new little brother.  I'll always remember how slowly Claire and Sophie walked into my room; not sure what to expect in this weird place.  But as soon as they saw me, they yelled "Mama!", and then headed right to the baby!  At long last...Baby Johnny was here!


And we were finally all together as a family.



It was so nice to be together again.  Both my Mom and Danny and the girls brought flowers for me, which I just loved!  I know it sounds silly, but it helped to make the room feel like my space.  Plus, I just love getting flowers!


The first 36 hours or so were pretty rough for me.  I was feeling the effects of the workout I had done during labor the day before, and my legs, back, shoulders, and arms were incredibly sore!  But, I got up and walking around as soon as I was able.  I felt like things were going pretty good for the first day after surgery.  But that night and the next morning were pretty brutal.  Jerry and Jeannie Dunn came over to help Danny give me a blessing, and of course that always helps.  I continued to make progress, and Danny and my Mom took turns staying with me or the girls, and running between our house and the hospital.

Johnny and I entertained a few friends that came by to visit, including Ali and Beth (who also brought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers that I didn't photograph...Sorry Beth!).



And Danny had some good bonding time with his son, doing what Dad's do best...


Before we knew it, it was time to come home.  And not a moment too soon!  My hospital bed may as well have been a block of cement, and I was so uncomfortable I wasn't able to sleep anymore.  The hospital also had a lot of deliveries the day I was discharged, and had I not left then my private room would have become semi-private!  After 3 1/2 days of wearing hospital gowns and hospital t-shirts, it was time to get dressed and greet the outside world.


After we were dressed, I had to bid farewell to my two favorite friends...


We got Johnny buckled up in his carseat...


Took the standard "leaving the hospital" pic...


And took our son home at long last!

3 comments:

Justin and Toshi said...

Love the pics Katie! His 'going home' outfit is adorable...congrats to your little family!

The Green's said...

What a crazy OB!!! That is amazing that you got to hold him and nurse him so soon. The wait to hold my little boys was so hard!!!!! I hope you are healing well. He is such a doll! You are amazing!

Brittany McClure said...

First of all Johnny is beyond adorable!! And I'm so sorry your birth plan didn't work out. But you have a beautiful family and that's all that really matters :)