Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Potty Party!

Alas, I cannot procrastinate any longer.  The time has come to be at least a little more serious about potty training Claire!  I realized that my "I'm pregnant and tired" excuse didn't cut it anymore when I was putting laundry away in my closet (which is located in the master bathroom), and Claire came in and said "Ok, Mom, I've got to go to the bathroom."  She proceeded to shut the door, climb on top of the closed toilet, make pee-pee sounds, wipe, and flush the toilet!  How much more ready to you get?

So, off we went to Wal-mart to pick out new big girl panties (Dora and Tinkerbell, of course), along with potty treats to reward success and a LOT of Hi-C to increase our chances of success!  We hyped Claire up and by the time the morning came around, she was totally ready for her potty party!

She was ready.  I was not!  I have dreaded this part of my job as a Mom for a LONG time!  And it was a discouraging start to the morning.  After cleaning up two accidents that always occurred right after or right before our scheduled 10 minute check-in at the toilet, I was fed up and ready to give up.  I called my Mom as a last ditch effort, and after potty training 7 she had some useful tips.  Go figure!  She let me know that Claire ought to be the one picking up her accidents, since they were her responsibility.  I was already trying to not be negative when that happened, but it was easier to not be upset when I didn't have to get my pregnant self down and pick up her urine!  After Claire cleaned up another accident or two, she looked at me panicky and said "Oh no, Momma!  I don't want to have an accident!"  We ran to the big potty and...SUCCESS!  Claire finally got a potty treat!





That's my big girl!  I think she earned 4 or 5 treats during the course of the day, which I think is a pretty good start!  We're still working up to losing the diapers at nap time and bed time.  And that's more me than her.  I'm not ready to fight the "No Bottle" fight.  I really am pregnant and tired!

I'm so proud of you, Claire!  You're growing up way to fast, but I suppose that's inevitable.  I'm just happy you'll grow up with bladder control...

2 comments:

C, J, T, and M said...

I wouldnt worry about the nighttime diaper thing yet. Within days of Ty being potty trained he just started waking up dry on his own (but he still wears diapers or pull-ups just in case) but we have a neighbor who is 2 years older than him and never wakes up dry. I think it totally comes on its own. You got the daytime thing down--thats the big one! :)

loriellen said...

Yeah Claire! It's phone to see you in big girl panties!