Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gracie Rainbow Dance

We've been having a bit of a mouse problem lately.  For almost 2 years we never had an issue, and then all of a sudden we have mice coming out to join us for lunch.  Gross!  I hate the idea that they're running around while we sleep, leaving their virus-ridden poop in weird places.  So, we decided to bring in some outside help.

Introducing...Gracie Rainbow Dance!


We told Claire and Sophie a couple of days beforehand that we were going to be getting a kitty as a part of our family.  Claire apparently already had a name picked out...Gracie Rainbow Dance.  I just love that girl.

We adopted our little Gracie from a local shelter and she's approximately 3-4 months old.  She's a short hair domestic calico with bright green eyes.  Unfortunately, she also came with a cold. Apparently, when she, her mother, and her littermates were rescued, they were all dying of pneumonia.  The shelter thought they got her all better, but within a few hours of bringing her home it was evident that she was a pretty sick kitty.  We were able to get her some antibiotics, and she's doing much better now.

Gracie found our home a bit, well, stressful...at first.  Claire is such a good Mommy to her, and read her some stories on her first day with us to help her feel safe.


But what really made Gracie feel safe was Danny.  That man has a way with animals.  And kids.  Sometimes, I don't know that there's much difference.  But that's a different post all together. :)  Gracie relaxed quite a bit once the kids went to bed and the house was quiet.  She curled up with Danny and purred the evening away...


It only took Gracie a few days (and some antibiotics) to really adjust and make herself at home.  She  now spends quite a bit of time playing with the kids, and is so patient with their love.



She's an incredibly playful kitty, which I think will lead to her being a very effective mouser.  She loves curling up on my lap, with is less than pleasant for me.  I'm fairly allergic to cats, and while I'm adjusting to having Gracie around, I still can't handle much direct contact.  I sure do like her, though.  Which is saying something, since I'm not really a cat person.

Danny and I now have three kids, a cat, and a dog.  We're living the American Dream!  And some...

No comments: