Friday, May 28, 2010

To my Claire, on her birthday...

Happy 3rd Birthday, Claire!

I can't believe you're three already.  Where has the time gone?  I remember so clearly being the hospital all day on Memorial Day three years ago, struggling and scared.  When the doctor told me that it was time to consider a c-section, I was scared and disappointed.  But I do remember realizing that it meant I was going to meet you in just a matter of minutes!  I couldn't believe that after all my years of dreaming about you, I was finally going to see you.  My baby girl.


Even though the morphine has made my memory cloudy, I do remember holding you for the first time.  I remember being so glad that you had so much hair, and that you were beautiful!  I remember thinking you looked just like a Vigil.  I was wrong...you look JUST like your Daddy!

You've been my buddy ever since.  We've spent virtually every day together.  I love how happy you are in the morning!  You've always greeted me with a smile to start our day together.  

Claire's First Birthday

You weren't much older than a year old when we brought Sophie home, and you were instantly a wonderful big sister!  You've helped me so much since then, getting diapers and burp rags and keeping Sophie entertained.  Not to mention teaching her some of the naughty things you've picked up over the years.  But both your Dad and I know that you were meant to come to our family first.  Your sweet disposition and easy manner made it possible to stay sane after your sister got here!  

Claire's Second Birthday

Now you're three, and there is yet another sibling on his way!  Like it or not, you're going to be my "other mother" for a long time!  But the Lord has given you unique gifts and abilities that make you perfect for the job.  Granted, it drives me nuts how long you take to put the toys away or do anything I've asked you to do.  But it's because you can see the pleasure in even the little things.  Something I could learn from you!

I know I get frustrated with you a lot, Claire.  You didn't get much time to just be my baby.  But please know, no matter what, that I love you more than words can say.  I really did dream of you all my life, and made some very difficult decisions because I knew I had a responsibility to you.   You have blessed every minute of my life for the last three years, and I am so grateful for the privilege it is to be your mother.  No matter how many birthdays come and go, you'll always be my baby girl.  I love you, Claire Bear!

3 comments:

David and Camillia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLAIRE! Hope she has a great day!

Justin and Toshi said...

Happy Birthday Claire! Time sure has flown by...I remember how little you were when you were just a newborn! Not to mention how spoiled your parents were/are with how good a baby you were...can't say the same about my first (definitely a little more Sophie-esc)!

loriellen said...

Happy Birthday Claire-Bear. You were not only mom and dad's first child, but Papa and I's first grandchild. You have been an angel on earth and we love you tons!