Monday, May 10, 2010

"The Most Sensuous of the Cured Meats"

Mother's Day this year actually started out on Friday afternoon, when Danny's gift for me arrived in the mail.  Now, some might not see this as the most romantic or Mother's Day-ish gift.  But if you know anything about me, you'll see it was perfect!


Now my collection is complete!  I've waiting over a year for us to finally get this last season, so I was pretty excited to get it!  Now the trick will be to find enough time to watch it together.  Life is going to be pretty busy this summer...

So, Saturday morning was spent laying in bed with the girls wondering what we were going to do with our day.  It's so unusual to have an entire Saturday with absolutely NO obligations!  We didn't even have to do the grocery shopping.  Danny decided he was in the mood to take a "long, pretty drive" through the Angeles National Forest, and ultimately end up at IKEA in Burbank.  We've needed to get a dresser for Johnny's room, and thought it was a good day for a trip into LA.

We got the girls ready, printed out a map of our drive, and hit the road!  Turns out our long pretty drive wasn't so pretty. :)  Apparently, there was a pretty bad fire in the Angeles National Forest last year, and it left all the scenery pretty...well...charred.  But, the girls slept (until Claire woke up carsick), and even with a closed road we weren't expecting, we ended up safely at IKEA and no worse for the wear!

Since we were in the area, we called Uncle Robbie and Aunt Kris to see if they wanted to join us for some shopping and dinner.  So, we all met up at IKEA and enjoyed the wonderful shopping that Swedish smorgasbord has to offer!  Ultimately, we left without a dresser (which is a totally aggravating story that my blood pressure can't afford to blog about), but we did get about $20.00 in odds and ends we've been meaning to get.  

At this point, we were all pretty hungry!  And as die-hard Food Network fans, Danny and I couldn't be in Burbank and not take the opportunity to eat at...


Guy Fieri featured this little joint on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives", which Danny and I saw while salivating in December.  Their specialty?  A Pastrami sandwich appropriately called "The Oinkster".  This mammoth of a sandwich starts off with a toasted French roll and then is piled high with fresh pastrami, carmelized onions, red cabbage slaw, and topped with gruyere cheese.  Phenomenal! We also ordered their pulled pork sandwich, which was also featured on "Triple D", but honestly, it didn't measure up to The Oinkster.

This is actually the pulled pork sandwich, but the pastrami looked very similar.


I'm becoming a little self-conscious that most of the pictures that I post are of us eating somewhere!  But one must keep a couple of things in mind.  I am pregnant, which restricts my activity somewhat...so eating is the perfect activity for me!  Second, Danny and I are total foodie wanna-bes!  There.  I said it.  We really do enjoy eating and trying new delicious foods.  So, with that disclaimer, here are some more pictures of what the Call Family does best!






Of course, the food was fabulous.  And the company wasn't too shabby either!  Robbie and Kris are leaving this week for Alabama and Ohio, and won't be back until the end of July!  We're gonna miss having them close.


So, here's my family on (or before) Mother's Day, 2010.  I truly am blessed to be a mother to my sweet little girls, and to my baby-boy-to-be.  I couldn't be a mother without Danny, who really does make me a better and stronger woman.  He wouldn't be who he is without my amazing mother-in-law.  And, of course, I wouldn't be here at all without my mother, who continues to amaze me with her faith and courage.  I can still count on her for anything.  Love you, Mom!  Motherhood isn't easy, starting at pregnancy and ending with...well...it's never-ending really.  But every moment really is a choice blessing.  Moments for which I am eternally grateful.


1 comment:

C, J, T, and M said...

I love food. Lets start a club.