Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Perpetuation of Social Norms

I've had a realization lately.  I'm not a perfect mother.  Far from it, actually!  :)  I feel like I do a lot of things right, and even pretty well, when it comes to taking care of the kids.  But my babies are turning into children, and all of a sudden this parenting thing is becoming more involved.  And it is putting into stark relief those areas that I'm weak in.  Love that!

Danny said it best when he suggested that we (mostly me) take a more active approach to parenting, as opposed to a reactive approach.  I have gotten too comfortable just reacting to the events of the day instead of actively involving the girls in learning opportunities.  Really, I always knew I'd be bad at this part!  It's quicker and easier for me to do things myself, as opposed to taking the time to teach the girls.  Having Claire and Sophie help me clean and cook usually results in more mess!  But, I also know these are the memories I'll treasure, and I definitely know I want my girls to know how to take care of their homes.  Basically, I've got to teach them their appropriate gender role! :)  Possibly controversial, I know, but we all know it's gotta happen...

What's funny is that I've only been able to take pictures of Danny teaching the girls, since when I'm cooking or cleaning with them it's only me and I can't get in the picture!  But rest assured, I've been putting my efficiency aside and making messes along the way!


And introducing, the next Iron Chef!


Claire helped make Crunchy Chicken Legs for dinner on Sunday, and she did an excellent job!



And while Sophie may be too young to handle raw chicken, she's still learning how to be a lady!


I'm sure she'll throw a smashing tea party some day. :)

And we can't forget Johnny!  He learning quickly how to be the man of the house.  Sitting around looking good, waiting for dinner to be done.


I'm kidding, of course!  Except for the looking good part... :)

I hope that as I keep trying to be a more active mother in my kid's learning, that someday it will be more of a second nature to me.  It is fun to have them help me, even if it takes an extra few minutes of clean up.  Someday, I'm sure I'll miss all that cleaning!

2 comments:

Justin and Toshi said...

You are to FUNNY! Love it! I know what you mean about fast/easier and more efficient to just do it yourself...not sure I am ready to let Taija 'help' me in the kitchen as she would be all too willing to make a mess!

Naomi and Family said...

You are fantastic for putting forth the effort!