Thursday, June 10, 2010

Week 31


Week 31...we're making progress!  This week was a hot one!  I think I was woefully unprepared for how hot and uncomfortable I was going to be this summer...

We'll start with Johnny's stats.  He should be measuring at about 3.3 pounds and over 16 inches long.  He's still very active, though because of his ever increasing size, those movements are getting less comfortable for me!  It's good he's so active, though.

I had my monthly appointment with Ali yesterday, which was awesome!  I really love our visits.  It's so much different than my quick in-and-out visits with my OBs.  She stays and talks through both of our questions and concerns.  I was discouraged about how much weight I had gained since our last appointment (almost ten pounds!),  but Ali assured me that most of this was water retention.  She told me to increase my salt intake if at all possible, and then to try drinking electrolyte water.  We're hoping to not only stop the water retention, but hopefully to get rid of what I've already retained.  Then, of course, I've got to increase my exercise.

The results of the prenatal exam were good for both me and Johnny.  My blood pressure is ridiculously low for how not-relaxed I am by nature, and my urine strip looked good!  Despite all the heat, I'm staying well hydrated.  Johnny's heartbeat was good and strong, and he's still head down and in a good position.  We're still measuring big (at a 33 this week), but it's consistent.  Just means we're having a big baby!  I also got to hear not only his heartbeat, but the sound of the cord AND the placenta!  It was pretty cool!

Claire LOVED having Ali here!  I swear we have a little midwife in the making!  I love how involved Claire wants to be, and that Ali allows her to be a part of the process!  Claire was so excited to hear Baby Johnny's heartbeat and then helped Ali with her palpation exam and even measured me herself, just to make sure Ali hadn't missed anything.  :)  Claire made me promise this week that I wouldn't push the baby out without her, so I guess Claire is going to be there for the birth!  

I've been markedly less anxious this week about the birth than I've been in the last couple of weeks.  I really think it helped to put aside the reading and videos for a while.  And I have to admit, reading "The Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire" was a perfect reprieve!  Both Ali and I are feeling very confident that things are going to not only be successful, but a good experience as well.  I guess we'll find out soon enough!

1 comment:

Naomi and Family said...

I totally just read those books! They were awesome! At least I thought so. Interesting enough at least! ;) Don't worry about your measurements, Evey was always measuring two weeks ahead and when my water broke my stomach literally shrunk, (that didn't happen with Ethan or Tai) there was soooooo much water in there!! She came out 7lbs 8oz so don't know if that helped or if you were even worried about having a big baby, but, there is still hope of just having a whole lot of water in your stomach. Who knows. Thanks again for the updates, I love reading your blog!