Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

This Memorial Day was a bit different for me.  In the past, Memorial Day has been the beginning of summer, with pool parties and barbecues.  But this year, I had someone to remember.  And I have to admit, it kind of put a damper on my day...at least the beginning of it.

Today marks the six month mark since Rachel died.  I can't believe it's been half a year without her already.  With it being Memorial Day yesterday, she was on my mind quite a bit.  I missed being close where I could have left flowers on her grave.  I wore the shirt her friends designed, and had every intention of planting sunflowers with Claire and Sophie as our own little memorial.  The day got away from us, and unfortunately that didn't get done.  But it will get done in the next day or so.  Forgive me, Rachel? :)

I miss my littlest sister.


Ok, so on to the happy stuff!  Danny spent the morning (the day, really) working on getting the garden ready to plant.  I'm afraid we're a little behind the planting season, but it's our first year and it's been a busy one.  Hopefully the plants will be forgiving and still do well.  Danny and Vern worked all morning to build a fortress around our garden to discourage the critters from eating our wonderful fruits and veggies.



It was quite the project to get that fence up!  And once we get it planted, it will be quite the garden...size-wise at least!  The girls had a blast playing outside while Dad worked, and Jack liked having people around.





Even Rose came to visit the girls and join in the fun!  After Danny had done all he could do in a day with the garden, we headed to the Davis' home for a neighborhood cook-out.  It was so much fun!  So much, in fact, that I actually remembered to take the camera, but forgot to take any pictures!  Oops.  At any rate, we all had a great time visiting with our friends and neighbors.  The Tolmans joined us as well, and it reminded me of the many block parties we had when I was a kid.  A picnic table full of wonderful food, the smell of meat on the grill, children playing games on the lawn, while the Moms sat in the shade and visited.  It was a wonderful day, and we're now fully ready to usher in the rest of the summer!

No comments: