Monday, March 31, 2014

iMarch

I've got to be honest, I think I was glad to see March pass behind me.  We knew going into the month that it would be the start of Luke's relapse treatment, and the first step on the path towards another bone marrow transplant.  And while that was terrifying, I've lived through enough of this stuff to know that the anticipation of pain is almost always worse than the pain itself.  I knew that once we were started, we'd be fine.  And as I look at this slice of our life, I know I was right.  We haven't been beaten yet!

Luke's last day at home before going into treatment was my birthday.  Even though it was my day, I had to let Luke lick the spoon!  


The kids always love coming to the hospital.  It's a children's hospital, after all!  There's always something fun to do, and seeing Spiderman is one of the kids' favorites.


How grateful I am for the technology that keeps us connected when we can't be together.  We love our FaceTime calls with Luke, and he loves them even more!  He's starting to be confused when we just talk on the phone using our ears.  He always tries to look at the screen to see whoever he's talking to. :)


St. Patrick's Day started out with green egg breakfast burritos, and everyone in their green clothes!  Sophie didn't like the eggs at all.  Even though I assured her they tasted exactly like they always do, she just couldn't get past the color. :)  But Claire and Johnny thought it was totally cool!




Time is at a premium for all of us, so we sneak in all the quality time we can.  Johnny is getting old enough to play kid board games, and he even asked Danny to play with him one afternoon.  I'm pretty sure Danny played his hardest, but Johnny still won! :)


Danny is kind of a sentimental guy.  Or maybe he's more nostalgic than sentimental.  But there are certain things that he bonded to during his childhood, and he's still very attached to those things.  In this case, Fluffy Puppy.  Danny loved this backpack!  Grandma recently found it at her house, and sent it back to us.  Admittedly, Danny has a hard time letting Johnny play with Fluffy!  But he allows it every once in a while...if Johnny's supervised. :)


Remember our visit from our buddy Michael Alisa?  Well, Aunt Katie was watching TV when she saw that Michael was doing a media spot on BYUtv Sports.  Well, look what's on his wrist!  That's right!  He's still sporting his Luke Bracelet!  This guy is so our favorite. :)


Finally, at the end of the month, Lukey came home!  He was losing his hair pretty rapidly by the middle of his first round of chemo, so we gave him a haircut first thing.  Dang it if my son doesn't make cancer look good! :)


Finally, March is behind us.  And you know what?  For all my worry, it was a pretty good month after all!

No comments: