Sunday, June 24, 2012

To My Claire, On Her Birthday...


First, I wish I could say that I was writing this letter even remotely close to your birthday, Sweetheart.  But it's been about a month, and with your little brother's birth and life in general being crazy, this is the first chance I've gotten.  I'm sorry!

Claire, I just can't believe you're five.  I'm just sure it hasn't been that long since it was just you and me.  I remember looking down at you while I fed you when you were just a newborn.  I wondered what you'd look like, and who you would be.  I knew you'd be beautiful, so no surprises there.  But I don't know that I ever could have imagined the girl you would grow up to be in just five short years.

You've really blossomed this last year.  I used to worry that you wouldn't have the confidence to try new things or make new friends.  But you leave me speechless with your tenacity for life.  You have gained more confidence in five years than I've gained in twenty nine!  And your Dad can attest to that.  :)  I couldn't believe when you so easily took the stage for your part in "Beauty and the Beast" without the least bit of trepidation.  Seriously amazing.

You're such a good helper to me, and I know that your Dad and I would be lost without you as our first.  You couldn't be a more perfect first child.  Nothing ruffles your feathers, and you never get sick.  You're almost always willing to help me with your younger siblings, which with Luke's arrival I've needed desperately.  You are so patient and loving.  You and Sophie truly are best friends, and we love to see your friendship grow.  You look after Johnny for me, and help him with his iPad games whenever he gets frustrated.  You fetch bottles and diapers and burp rags and all sorts of things for me.  Thank you for all of that. 

My heart was so touched with how you handled your birthday this year.  We knew that Luke's birth was going to affect your big day, one way or the other.  We thought we'd get ahead of things and celebrate your birthday early, so we could have the cousin party you were so excited for before Luke was born and things got more complicated.  I was worried that you wouldn't like that idea, since you were very much aware that your birthday was on May 28th.  But, you understood what we were trying to do, and you were happy to have your party early.  Then, the completely unexpected happened and my water broke the morning of your party.  I was so worried that you'd be heartbroken that your party wasn't happening as planned.  But once again, you completely surprised me.  You not only were just fine with not having your party, you were genuinely excited to meet Baby Luke.  You have a heart of gold, Claire Bear.

You also have a gift for befriending everyone.  And I truly believe it's a gift, and one I hope you use throughout your life.  You have such a genuineness about you.  You truly exhibit the light of Christ.  I know that people that touch your life will know Christ because they know you.  I know that I know Him better because of your example and your sweet spirit.  

I could go on forever about how awesome you are, Claire.  Always remember how much your Daddy and I treasure you.  You are an irreplaceable part of this family.  You are an example, a light, a friend to all.  You make your Dad and I smile every day.  You make us proud every day.  We look forward to watching you continue to grow and mature during the next year.  We love you, Claire Bear!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: