Sunday, June 24, 2012

One Month


I have to break into the chronology of events to document Luke's first month.  I've been scrambling to blog the last 5 weeks of memories and events, and I'm still no where close!  But I'll catch up eventually...I hope!

Oh, where to begin!  Luke has been nothing short of a delight.  He has the sweetest disposition, and just goes with the flow.  Which is good, since the flow would go without him I'm afraid!  Luke has this ability to make you calm just by holding him.  It's almost as if he just sucks the stress right out of you.  Needless to say, we all LOVE to hold him right now!

Luke has had quite an eventful first month of life.  We've taken him to Primary Children's Hospital and the ER in just over 24 hours time.  Now, before everyone gets all excited, both visits were precautionary and he's just fine.  The visit to Primary's was to check his belly button.  It just hasn't healed well since his umbilical cord fell off, and our awesome pediatrician wanted to be sure everything was looking okay.  An ultrasound was needed, and that's where they do pediatric imaging.  Like with everything else, Luke was completely chill through the whole procedure.  What a champ!  Then, just last night, we ended up in the ER with our little man to check on a really nasty cough that's developed over the last couple of days.  With it being the weekend, we wanted to make sure we stayed on top of things.  You never want to take a chance with anything respiratory with a baby just 5 weeks old.  His lungs are clear, however, so he's in no immediate danger.  Phew!  I hate taking my babies to the hospital.


Luke is a champion eater.  Still my best and easiest nurser.  During his first week home, we had a hard time getting his days and nights turned around.  But, with a little persistence on Mom and Dad's part, we got him on the right circadian rhythms, and now he's sleeping like a champ.  He's ready for bed between 9 and 10 every night, and wakes up to eat somewhere between 3 and 5.  But we're only up for an hour and then it's back to bed for Luke and me.  Can't complain much about that!  He's almost at 12 pounds now, so he's growing like a weed.  He's filling out those 3 months outfits, and some of his jammies are getting too small already.  Sigh.  They change so fast.

Luke loves tummy time, and enjoys stretching out on the floor and watching life whirl around him.  Since we brought him home, we noticed Luke's amazing ability to visually track things.  He has the strongest neck of any newborn I've ever seen, and can keep his head up on his own and turn it completely from side to side.  It really is astounding!  Though, (and I say this with all the humility possible) astounding is just something I've come to expect from our children. :)

I believe I've admitted it in the past, but I've worried if I would be as in love with Luke as I was with Johnny when he was a newborn.  And I can definitely say that I am!  I love Luke with an intensity that surprises me sometimes.  I seriously just can't get enough of him.  And because we've done this a few times now, I just know it will be no time at all before he's a toddler.  He changes every day toward that end.  And as exciting as that is, it breaks our hearts a little, too.


You're the sunshine in our life, Luke.  We love you!

1 comment:

Justin and Toshi said...

They grow so FAST! Love looking at pics of your cute kids and can't wait to see you guys in just over one month!