Friday, June 15, 2012

Our Hospital Stay

After a crazy "birth day", the next morning was quite peaceful.  My nurses got me up and walking around, and once I wasn't bound to my bed I started feeling much better.  I spent a decent amount of time that morning nursing Luke and just getting to know this beautiful boy of mine, and dosing here and there.  It was the perfect way to spend a Sunday.  I don't remember much from the day, but I do know that we had a couple of visitors.  Uncle David and Aunt Camillia came by to meet Luke, and we had a good time visiting with them.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my wits about me enough to get a picture.  Ugh.  Uncle Matt and Aunt Jenny also came by, bearing delicious gifts of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, which was beyond wonderful! 

The details are fuzzy now, thanks to very effective pain medications, but I'm pretty sure that Danny and Johnny ended up spending the next afternoon with Luke and I.  It was so fun to see Johnny again, and see how much he loved his little brother.  I know these two are going to be best buds.


Johnny instantly knew his role as a big brother, and got right to teaching Luke the important things in life.  Like how to drink a bottle.  First, he tried to physically help Luke with his bottle.


But when that didn't work, he decided to teach by example. 


Finally, Luke got it!  Johnny was so pleased with his teaching skills, and proud of his little brother's accomplishments. ;)


I really did enjoy some time with my boys.  BOYS-plural!  I needed some time to adjust to the fact that I now was the mother of two incredibly handsome and strong boys.  What more can a mother ask for?


A bigger bed, perhaps? :)



My Mom also came back and spent some time with me and Luke while Danny took care of the kids and got them to bed.  I totally forgot to get a picture of Grandma Candy and Luke on the day he was born, what with the ridiculous pain and all, but I was sure to rectify that mistake.  Honestly, I think this is an awesome picture of the two of them!  I'm grateful to have such an awesome Mom that was so willing to be with me and help me out.  Thanks, Mom!


Danny was wonderful to run back and forth between the hospital and home to make sure that not only were Luke and I taken care of, but that Claire, Sophie, and Johnny were cared for and given as much of their routine as possible.  He truly is a one of a kind husband.  And father.  So, when the three of us were together at the hospital, we all spent a decent amount of time sleeping.  I have this same picture of Danny and each of the children when they're just a day or so old.  I love seeing how much Danny loves our children, individually, and how much comfort our children get from being on their Daddy's chest.  I just love it.


And I especially love how much Luke looks like his Daddy.  What a lucky little guy!!


Luke continued to change day after day.  I decided to spend a full four days in the hospital and take advantage of the extra time to heal before going home to our regular life.  We decided that Luke was tired of wearing the same old shirt all the time, so Daddy brought him a pair of jammies to wear.  And I swear his cuteness went through the roof!


Danny and the kids surprised me one evening by stopping by with the most gorgeous bouquet of long stemmed roses I'd ever seen.  Danny has a tradition of bringing me roses when I have a baby.  It's really the only time he gives me roses, specifically.  I love that it's become our little tradition. :)


I have to admit, I quite enjoyed my stay at McKay-Dee.  The food was AWESOME!  I had a piece of apple pie with every meal (don't judge, I just had a baby!), and my favorite thing was the California Wrap, which I had for lunch every day.  It.  Was.  Awesome!  My nurses were amazing, and I was very well taken care of.  But eventually, the time came to go home and try to get our new life under way.  Don't get me wrong, I really missed the other kids.  And I was getting anxious to sleep in my own bed again.  But I also knew I had quite a bit of recovery left ahead of me and it wasn't going to be easy to do that at home.  Nevertheless, we were going to do it!

I had to take a picture of Luke all swaddled in his isolet.  My kids look so big in there compared to the other babies in the nursery.  I won't lie...I take pride in that! 


Danny started getting Luke dressed for his big debut in the outside world.  Seriously, he's such a hand-on Dad, and I'm often overwhelmed by how lucky I am to have him as the father of my incredible children.  Like I said, Danny really is one of a kind...


Luke had a different idea.  He was thinking naked was the way to go!


But alas, we're not that kind of family! ;)  He tolerated his new outfit well enough...



Finally, with my fourth child, I got a "Mommy" outfit as a going home outfit!  Each of the other three wore something cute that referenced their Daddy, but I put my foot down this time. :)  I put the finishing touches on his outfit, and then just admired my work.  This pregnancy and delivery were definitely harder in a lot of ways than the previous three, but looking my this little boy made me realize it was all worth it.



While we were waiting for all the discharge paperwork to be ready to sign, Luke and I spent some time just cuddling.  I also couldn't resist getting a picture of the monkey on his pants.  Too cute!  The girls called him "Monkey Butt!" when we got home.  I think we'll keep working on a nickname. :)


Finally, all was said, done, and signed, and we were cleared to take our precious boy home.  Danny and I lamented a few times just how quickly it's all over.  You spend so many months waiting with anticipation for the birth of your child.  You wonder so many things, and can't wait to meet this person who will be such an important part of your life.  Then, almost before you can appreciate it, they're here and you're heading into life. Those first few days are so precious, and they're so fleeting.  I loved every minute I had with just Luke.  It's probably going to be some of the only time we spend together one on one in his early life.  And there were many quiet moments where Danny and I just admired this amazing child we created together.  It truly is a miracle.  And such a privilege.  

As always, we asked our nurse to take the obligatory "going home" picture before we walked out of that little room we called home and into the world and the life that awaited us.  Welcome to the world, Luke!

No comments: