Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week 24

I had great intentions of getting this posted on time.  I wrote it all out while we were at the cabin, and assured myself I'd take a picture as soon as we got home on Sunday so I could get the post right up.  But here we are, two days away from Week 25, and I haven't gotten that picture taken yet.  SO...I'm posting this week without a picture.  Let's be honest, my baby bump doesn't look all that much different from last week!

Pushing on true!  One more week completed.  And this last week was a fun one!  I was able to go to my next doctor's appointment, which included my 20 target ultrasound.  I know, it's about 4 weeks late, but we had something of an insurance issue when we changed jobs, and we had to wait until February to get in.  But at last, February came, and I was excited to see my little guy!

I wasn't the only one.  Claire and Sophie opted to stay home from school that afternoon to come to the appointment.  They were so excited to see Baby Luke, though Sophie thought he was going to get out of my tummy.  She was a little disappointed when I was still pregnant at the end. :)  Danny met us at the appointment during his lunch break, which we all loved.  Our turn finally came, and we got a good look at our little boy.

And he's perfect!  And definitely a boy! :)  He's measuring a bit big, which isn't a surprise.  The tech's estimate had him at about 1 lb 9 oz.  He's quite the contortionist, and seems to enjoy being twisted up like a pretzel.  Our other kids seemed to be more stretched out.  When the tech switched to the 4-D images, I couldn't believe how much you could see!  We've never had a 4-D ultrasound before, and it's pretty incredible.  Luke is already so incredibly cute!  He has the same round forehead and little upturned nose as his adorable brother.  Definitely already looks like one of ours!  I just immediately fell in love, and now 4 months to wait feels like a very long time  I was so grateful for those images, though.  As I mentioned, I've had a harder time bonding with this baby and being able to see him like that helped so much.  I can literally hardly wait for him to get here!

After the ultrasound, I had a quick visit with Dr. Davis.  I mentioned my concerns about my mood swings being a possible side effect to the thyroid medication, but he seemed to think that was unlikely.  He told me to watch it, and that he'd do some research and re-check my thyroid levels.  I've actually felt pretty good, emotionally, for the last couple of weeks, so maybe things have leveled out.  I also talked to him about my concern over my rapid weight gain.  After having previous doctors fret over that quite a bit, he seems so nonchalant about it!  He reiterated that I needed to make smart eating choices and stay as active as I could, but that it was what it was.  He told me they have my glucose test planned for my next visit at the end of the month, so if gestational diabetes has anything to do with the weight gain, we'll know then.  So, I guess I keep doing the best I can with eating and getting on the treadmill everyday and hope for the best!

And with that, we look forward to Week 25!  After that, we'll just have about 15 weeks left.  Which seems so manageable to me right now.  But I know better.  Time is bound to come to a screeching halt around week 31... :)

1 comment:

Naomi and Family said...

I am SOOO glad you have such an amazing doctor! That is wonderful! And I am so glad that you got to see your cute little Luke! (P.S. I LOVE that name!) Sorry I have not been posting lately, but, I will try.... :)
Miss you guys so much, but I am so happy things are going so well for you up there! Not gonna lie, I really wish we could talk face to face (sniff).