Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 37


Ok!  We're technically full-term!  Yay!  That is the only reason I was able to muster a smile for this picture.  :)

What energy I had this week was spent preparing.  Danny, the girls, and I did almost all the necessary shopping on Saturday.  We ordered Johnny's dresser, got all the needed towels and linens, onesies and socks, nursing pads...almost everything!  The only things we have left to get are a bouncy seat, bath, wrap, some outfits from Mommy and Daddy, clothes for labor, and nursing bras!  

The goal was to have everything in time for our birth preparation meeting on Saturday morning, but I'm afraid the last bit of shopping will have to be done Saturday afternoon.  But by the end of this weekend, we should have everything ready for whenever Johnny wants to come!  I inventoried the birth kit, and sterilized the scissors for cutting the umbilical cord.  I laundered all the blankets, towels, and sheets.  We set up the crib and got the pad and sheets on.  Danny and I even met with Beth on Tuesday night and went over some techniques for handling labor.  It was so helpful!  

I have to admit, however, that I'm feeling the slightest bit of trepidation.  As I've been preparing for Johnny's arrival, meeting with Beth, and continuing to read labor books and watch birthing videos, it's becoming more and more apparent to me that I'm going to actually have to do this!  And any time now!  It's no longer an abstract thing that is months down the line.  It should be right around the corner (hopefully)!  I'm confident that all is going to go well, and that when all is said and done it will have been the most wonderful experience we've ever had.  It's just that I'm realizing that for as much as I know about birth and labor, I have NO idea what it will actually be like for me...how long or how hard.  I only know for sure that it will be the most difficult thing I have ever done.  And I have no choice but to do it!  I'm sure it's set up that way for a reason... :)

I'm really looking forward to our "birth party" on Saturday.  I've been working up a menu of appetizers all week!  And just think...any time now these weekly pregnancy posts will stop, and the greatest post of the year will announce Johnny's birth!

2 comments:

Naomi and Family said...

How fun! Well, you know, getting the stuff is fun and prepare birthing parties are fun! I am excited for you and I am keeping you in my heart! You are going to be amazing, I just know it! The Lord will bless you for all of your preparations! I have never prepared like one-tenth of what you have so I know the Lord will bless you with an experience you will find true joy in remembering. I can't wait until I get to hear how it goes! I really feel like I need to know how your's goes. You know, part of my "research" into home birth. Hope you're not offended! You're awesome! Johnny's lucky to have you as a mommy! I hope he is kind to you and doesn't make you wait for his awesome arrival! My mom told me that I was six days late and she looked up into heaven and said "Baby, say goodbye! You are coming TODAY!" I came the very next morning at four a.m. wink wink!

Guyla Thurgood said...

Best of Luck with everything Katie! Can't wait to see pics of the little guy. You'll do great! I admire you for doing this at home. What an amazing story this will be. Hang in there! It will all be over soon :-)