Friday, November 20, 2009

A New Addition

Danny and I are pleased to annouce the newest addition to our family!  Presenting (drum roll, please)...Jack! 



Jack is a Black German Shepherd, and in this picture is about 10-11 weeks old.  He's a big guy, just look at those paws!  Living out in the country, we've been told it is somewhat necessary to have a good guard dog around.  Danny and I have always wanted a dog, but we always assumed we'd get a Golden Retriever, since that is what we had both grown up with (my family dog was actually a Samoyed/Golden mix...had to give the proper shout-out to Molly!).  As we discussed things, however, we knew that our dog would need to be an outdoor dog.  We're renting our home, and decided we didn't want to see the increase in our rent!  As we talked, we both felt strongly that we should get a German Shepherd.  We checked at some rescues, without any success, and one day I just randomly googled "german shepherd puppies in lancaster, ca".  Turns out there was a family that had AKC certified Black German Shepherd puppies for sale just about 10 minutes away from our house!  The price was right, so we brought Jack home!


This is the day we brought Jack home, at about 9-10 weeks old.  So small!

I've decided when you have something...uh, qwirky...about your personality, you should just embrace it!  That being said, I'll let you all know how Jack got his name.  One of our favorite shows (my all-time favorite show) is Stargate SG-1.  Yes, that's sci-fi, and yes I also like Star Trek.  :)  Anyway, Danny and I and even Claire and Sophie just love the show, and especially Col. Jack O'Neill.  I'm sure you can see where this is going!  "Jack" is really short for "Col. Jack O'Neill", which was a mouthful to yell across the yard.  I know it's nerdy to name a dog after a sci-fi TV character, but hey, at least it's not one of our kids!


Jack is growing SO fast!  He's more than doubled his weight in the first 4 weeks we had him, and expect him to double his weight again by Christmas.  Here's the most recent picture of our handsome puppy dog...just look at the changes!  Let me tell you, it's great to have an outdoor dog!  No worries about house breaking or chewing up the furniture!  Jack has been a wonderful puppy and the perfect family dog.  Love you, Jack!

3 comments:

Naomi and Family said...

Hey girlie! I love your blog! Really really cute backgrounds and I love your personality! Love you Katie and I think your dog's name is awesome (you know that already!) Your dog must be great to carry that name!

Justin and Toshi said...

I love Jack! One day I might be able to convince Justin to get a dog...yeah whateva! Super cute and I can't wait to meet him at Christmas - he IS still coming home with you guys right?!

Katie Call said...

Jack is definitely coming home with us! The girls would just be so sad to leave him!