Thursday, November 19, 2009

Maternity Care or Maternity Carelessness?

Without going into a really long story, suffice it to say that I've become very interested in maternity care in the United States.  Actually, about women's health in general.  With having had two cesarean sections to get Claire and Sophie here, I find myself stuck between something of a rock and a hard place.  Danny and I plan on having more children, and I would prefer not to have c-sections from here on out.  I don't even think they'll let me have as many sections as I would want children!  I have been lucky (although I would say it was more providence than luck), and I have met some wonderful strong and knowledgeable women that have given me some things to study, and I feel it my responsibiliy to pass that knowledge along to any women who may not have been pleased with their childbirth experiences, or looking for something different even if they had a "good" experience.


Pushed written by Jennifer Block, was the first bit of literature I was told to read.  It was a life-changing experience!  Admittedly, the first three chapters were difficult to read.  It required a huge paradigm shift for me, but it was one I felt was necessary.  There were some points she was bringing up that I knew were important, and I just felt that I needed to get through the book!  By the time I did, I had a totally new perspective on childbirth itself, the state of maternity care in the United States, the reasons for that care, and the options that were open to me in having subsequent children.  I would HIGHLY recommend this book to every woman, regardless if she's not had children yet, had some, or had them all!

I also watched a film entitled The Business of Being Born, produced by Ricki Lake.  It was a wonderful compliment to Pushed, and provided a powerful visual tool.  It documents a few women through their birth experience, from prenatal care, to labor and delivery, and through postnatal care.  Particularly, those women who chose a home birth with a midwife.  I found this immensely beneficial, as Danny and I are leaning towards a midwife assisted homebirth for our next baby.  ***Disclaimer: it is a documentary, and there are a couple scenes with language issues.  Also, ladies, you may want to view it alone first.  There is nudity while it documents labor and birth.***

Now, let me say this: I am so grateful for modern obstetric care, and the technology that allows the healthy delivery of a baby and the life-saving care of a mother experiencing complications!  However, I do believe that we have crossed a very important line, and that each and every woman needs to be properly educated and informed in what will be a life-altering experience for her, one way or the other!  It is scary, quite frankly, that we do more research before we buy a car or camera or television, then we do before we have a baby!

I would love to hear your thoughts!  Let me know if you know of books, movies, or websites that would be beneficial!  I'll keep you posted (no pun intended) as I come across more helpful material!

2 comments:

oceanbaby&kickboxer said...

GO KATIE...GO KATIE..GO GO GO KATE!You are so awesomely informed on your choices.I'm so excited and happy for you on what's to come if you choose to have a home birth!

Katie Call said...

Thanks Audra! It is only because of inspiration women like you! :) I still need to see your birth video!