Monday, June 10, 2013

Easter Weekend 2013

Easter weekend was a little disjointed this year.  With Luke still in the hospital, Danny and I were left to try to figure out how to fit everything in and be everywhere we needed to be.  It was no small feat.  

We decided to do Easter Baskets with our kids at home on Saturday morning.  We usually do them before church on Sunday, but Danny was going to be spending Saturday night at the hospital with Luke, and so wouldn't be home in the morning.  It turned out kind of nice!  The only bummer was that there were only three baskets on the couch, instead of four. :(  Next year, for sure!


The kids got some fun stuff in their baskets this year.  Kites, color books, and candy eggs of course.  The girls also got Hello Kitty headbands, and a best friends necklace.  They were so excited about having a best friends necklace!  




And since Johnny didn't need a headband or necklace, he got a little dart gun instead.  I can't decide who had more fun getting it out, Danny or Johnny.  :)


Once Danny quit playing with it, Johnny was able to give it a go.  No one in the house was safe after that!


One part of Easter that we always look forward to is the annual Easter Egg Hunt at Great Grandma Calls.  It's always held the Saturday afternoon before Easter.  However, my Dad was hosting a birthday party for his birthday late that afternoon.  We thought we could fit both in, since Great Grandma's party is usually at lunch time.  But for whatever reason, it got moved to 4:00 pm this year, and we were already committed to my Dad's party in Salt Lake.  Well, we couldn't not do an egg hunt with the kids!  So we asked if we could come join Great Grandma a little earlier for a mini-hunt.  The kids had so much fun!  I know they missed all their cousins, but at least they didn't have to compete for the eggs! :)






Grandpa Richard's swim party was a blast!  After everyone had swam til they could swim no more, than ate til they could eat no more, it was time to split up.  Danny spent the night with Luke in the hospital, and I got the kids home and in bed.  We had planned an early start to Easter the next morning!  Danny had a really good idea the week before Easter of taking the kids to hear the "Music and the Spoken Word" performance in the Tabernacle.  I saw that as the beginnings of a wonderful Easter morning tradition!  I knew the performance would be beautiful, and I was anxious for our children to see the orchestra and choir in person. What I didn't fully realize was that it meant me getting three kids bathed and beautified in their Easter garb and in the car by 7:30 am...by myself.  When I realized that, I almost called the whole thing off!  But I really felt strongly that the kids were going to get something out of the experience, so it was worth the extra trouble to me.

It was a short night, but Easter morning dawned bright and beautiful.  The kids were pretty cooperative, and we got out to the door just a bit late. ;)  We had intended on leaving enough time to get to the hospital and pick Danny up, but he ended up having to meet us at Temple Square.  The kids and I arrived first, and so hurriedly made our way to the Tabernacle to save seats.  As we were entering Temple Square, one of the ushers at the gates asked if we were there to watch the broadcast.  I said yes, and he told me that we would need to be seated in the Visitor's Center auditorium, since children were not allowed in the Tabernacle during the live broadcast.  I was too stressed to think much of it until we got the the theater.  Then I got mad.  I didn't go to all the effort so the kids could watch the broadcast on the screen!  We could have done that at home in our pajamas!!  Danny was pretty irritated, too.  We understood why children weren't allowed, but it would have been nice had that been communicated anywhere.  It wasn't mentioned online or anywhere else we could find.  Annoying.  But, we were there, so we decided to make the most of the experience.

While Danny was still parking and making his way to the Visitor's Center, I had a unique opportunity.  Along the walls, there was an artistic depiction of Christ's life, from birth to ascension.  Claire and Sophie were very interested in the paintings, so we started at the beginning and I told my children the story of Christ's life.  We took some extra time at the paintings depicting the Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane, the crucifixion, and Christ's appearance to Mary Magdelene.  The Spirit was incredibly strong, and it was a moment that I felt the significance of my role as a mother; of my responsibility to teach my children of Jesus Christ.  That moment made the whole trip worth it.

When Danny arrived, we still had plenty of time before the broadcast started, so we took our children upstairs to see the Christus.  It was quiet, and we were mostly alone.  We watched as the kids looked up in awe of the statue of the Savior.  Again, it gave us the opportunity to teach our children some of the precious truths of the gospel.  Again...totally worth the trip.


The broadcast was beautiful.  And the kids mostly behaved.  But I suppose that was why we were in the overflow theater, eh? :)

Besides the chance to see the choir and orchestra's performance, I was excited to get Easter pictures on Temple Square.  They didn't disappoint.  I know I will only have a few more precious years where my children will be excited to wear matching/coordinating Easter clothes.  I'm going to enjoy and document every single minute of it!  I just wish my little Luke could have donned his first Easter suit for his first Easter.  I suppose it will wait until his second Easter.











Besides Thanksgiving, we have some how managed to have Luke home with us for all the other holidays.  It made this holiday a little hard for Danny and me.  We hate taking family pictures as only part of our family.  However, we anticipate these partial family pictures very quickly becoming a part of our past.  And we are extremely grateful for that!


Now, nothing in our life can just be easy anymore.  And admittedly, we make it more complicated than it probably should be.  But our road to exhaustion is usually paved with good intentions!  Aunt Julie's boyfriend Brian was being ordained an Elder that Sunday, and he had asked if Danny would participate in that ordinance.  Danny was happy to oblige, and so planned on heading to Bountiful with the kids while I went to the hospital to spell Papa so he could also attend the ordinance.  I can't remember now why we decided to do things this way, but I'm sure at the time it made sense. :)  Danny and I decided to catch a Sacrament Meeting in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building before we split up.  It's a beautiful building, and I thought it would be nice.  What I didn't anticipate was that the ward was going to be mostly (very) retired persons and no other children.  Combine that with the vaulted ceilings, and you may have well handed each of my children a megaphone!  Let me tell you, I'm not sure our children have ever been more irreverent during a Sacrament Meeting!  I was horrified.  But, we were there so we stuck it out.  When the meeting was finally over, we hurriedly made our way out, heads low, and got our kids in the car.  Danny went to Bountiful, and I went to the hospital.

I enjoyed the afternoon with my baby boy while he took a nap.  I miss being with him so much when we're apart.  I was nice to just be together.  Danny came back to the hospital after the ordination and lunch, and we celebrate Luke's first Easter.  Luke had a visit from the Easter Bunny during the night, and had a basket waiting for him when he woke up.  He was excited, but nice enough to wait until both Mom and Dad could be there to help him open it.  He's such a good kid! :) 


People are so kind.  Those that donate their time and talents to the kids and families at the hospital are truly saints.  I plan on being in their company in the future.  I loved the tag on Luke's basket...


...and the contents weren't too shabby, either!  There was even a gift certificate for Cafe Rio in there for Mom and Dad! :)


Now, usually our kids get a new Easter outfit for church.  The girls get dresses, and the boys at least get ties (unless they are in need of a new suit).  Well, Luke won't be attending church for at least another year, so it made no sense at all to buy him a suit.  BUT...I couldn't get the other three something nice to wear and get nothing for our Luke-Son!  I got him a Super Suit instead, and it was pure awesomeness.  Luke is a Superman if ever I've known one!


It's a bird, it's a plane...it's SUPER LUKE!


After Luke was wearing his super Easter outfit, it was time for his first Easter basket from Mom and Dad.  It was hard for us to figure out what to put in Luke's basket.  The kid has about every toy imaginable at this point!  But we found a few things we thought he'd like.  Luke really does love reading stories, so we got him a couple of new stories for the hospital.  And of course a Super Duckie. :)



He loved his kindred duckie friend!


It wasn't a conventional first Easter, but it was still fun.  And I especially loved seeing my Super Guy in his bunny ears!  Each of our kids have worn a pair for their first Easter, but I'm not sure the other ones looked quite as cute.  Shhh...don't tell. :)  


Happy Easter, Luke!  We love you, Little Buddy, and we look forward to next Easter at home...cancer-free and doing great!


How grateful we are for the Atonement of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  This trial with Luke's health has brought to the forefront of our minds the gifts that our brother's sacrifice allows us.  Being faced with the mortality of your child makes you cling to the promise of life after death, and of eternity as a family.  Standing by and watching your infant son physically suffer more than any child should have to endure makes you turn your tears to a knowing Savior.  Someone who has suffered for Luke specifically so He would be able to comfort and succor him.  And who suffered for us and our pain also, so that He might know how to succor us.  I am so deeply grateful for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, my testimony of the atoning sacrifice of my Savior, and for the privilege it is to be able to declare the good news that He lives!

Happy Easter!

No comments: