Thursday, December 6, 2012

The First Snow

Ok, to be fair, I think this was technically the second snow of the year.  But the first one was wet and heavy and no fun at all.  This was the first fun snow, where the kids could get out and play.  And it came out of no where!  We went to bed on Friday night (November 9th) with nothing, and woke up Saturday morning to about 8 inches of snow covering our yard!  The kids could hardly wait to get out in it!  Luckily for us, we had all the gear they needed.  Last year, the morning of the first snow, I went out and dropped $80 on snow clothes for the kids thinking they would be needing them all winter long.  They wore them all of three times that year, thanks to an extremely mild winter.  I'm glad I bought everything a size or two big!

Claire and Sophie are regular snow bunnies.  And our yard is awesome for snow play!  They traipsed all over the place, yet there was a seeming never-ending supply of fresh snow.  The girls enjoyed making snow balls and snow forts, which Danny was glad to help with.



Claire loved eating the snow!  After our discussion about the yellow variety. :)


And Johnny was in his own winter wonderland!  I'm sure he felt like an explorer in a new world.  Which for him, it was!  


And you've got to build a snowman!  Danny was a great help, but what the kids loved the most was destroying the snowman.  Sophie and Johnny thought the coolest part of the day was when Danny lifted the bottom snowball above his head and sent it crashing onto the patio.


Well, that was tied with the part where they buried Danny in the snow. :)


During all of this, Luke and I stayed inside where it was warm.  Luke wasn't feeling so good at that point.  It was only 3 days before we brought him in for his appointment at Primary Children's.  I'm so glad we were able to enjoy this beautiful winter Saturday as a family.  It really was a perfect day.

2 comments:

Justin and Toshi said...

your kids are too cute! love the picture of Johnny the explorer! I have such great memories of playing in the snow

Andrea said...

Sorry...I kind of feel like I'm being a bit overbearing with all of my comments recently! Ha-ha! But how can I NOT say how cute your kids are! And that I'm so glad that you were able to take pictures to capture this beautiful Saturday afternoon that you were able to have together as a family before all of the "craziness" began. Way to go, supermom! :) You truly are a supernatural of some sort. I mean, with all that you have going on in your life right now, you still make the time to work on your family history. ;) We love you guys and continue to pray hard!