Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Heirloom


When I was four years old, I was having a lot of trouble sleeping at night.  I was, as you could say, a very frightened little girl.  I also wanted a puppy more than anything in the whole world.  So, one night my Dad came home with a present for me.  It was Oscar, my Pound Puppy, and he would serve as my guardian and friend for many, many years.  I slept with that guy almost every night from the time I got him to the night before I married Danny.  I cried with him when I was sad or scared, and having him close always made me feel better.  I loved my Oscar.

Well, Claire was a little bummed that Sophie had a cool new friend (her Princess Aurora doll) to sleep with at night, so I decided to let her take care of Oscar for me.  Claire was excited, and promised she'd take very good care of him for me.  I'm sure she will.  It felt kind of cool to give something to my little girl that I loved so much growing up.  Being a parent is so cool.

3 comments:

The Short Family said...

I remember Oscar from when we were roommates. It is so awesome you passed it on.

Naomi and Family said...

That is WAY cool!!!

Pyneberry said...

Wow! Oscar has been through a lot, I'm glad he's still around!