Friday, August 13, 2010

Week 40!!!


We made it to the due date (and a couple days past for that matter) without a baby in sight!  I'll admit, this whole pregnancy thing is really starting to try my patience!  But what can you do? 

This week hasn't been the easiest.  I've had a feeling that this baby wasn't coming, and even though I tried not to think that a "due date" meant anything, it's hard to see it coming and then pass with nary a contraction.  Especially with people you know and strangers alike increasing their "Are you still pregnant?!" and "Wow...you're huge!  Looks like you're having twins!" comments.  

But, I've really tried hard to smile through it all, and I think I've been decently successful at not looking miserable all the time! :) Then, two days before the ominous due date, Danny totally wrenched his back at work.  And he wasn't even doing anything strenuous or slightly stupid so I could be mad at him!  He just stood up and his back seized up.  That meant a husband that was flat on his back for the rest of Monday evening, as well as home from work all day on Tuesday.  Poor guy!  And if that weren't enough, the day after my due date, Sophie wakes up with a 103 degree fever!  That's right, folks, she's got an ear infection.  Which to be fair was a good thing.  At least they can give us antibiotics for that and she should be feeling better soon.  At the very least, she's not contagious.  But it has left me dealing with a very cranky Sophie and a partly lame husband.  Have I mentioned I'm overdue? ;)

I also didn't get to meet with Ali on Wednesday as was planned, because some other lucky girl was having her baby that day.  I suffered from a very immature amount of jealousy for a while over that one!  

Ok, catharsis is over...for now.  I had an emotional break-down on Wednesday night, and had a good long cry as well as directed all my unmitigated hormonal anger at Danny. :)  So, now that that is over, I've mostly just resigned myself to my current circumstances.  It has to end eventually, right?

I would like to think that I won't be taking a picture or posting for 41 weeks, but let's be honest.  That's totally in the realm of possibility!

**Addendum:  I love being a mother!  And I know that every agonizing minute is worth it.  I also recognize how blessed I am to be able to so easily get pregnant, and to have such uncomplicated pregnancies.  And on top of that, I have big, fat, perfect, ridiculously cute babies!  So, while I reserve the right to gripe right now, I have to make sure it's put in perspective.**

1 comment:

Justin and Toshi said...

You always make me laugh...you are such a good sport! Not sure I would be making jokes several days PAST my due date...luckily for baby #2 I know the day he is coming (but then so did you for your #2)! Johnny sure is a LUCKY kid to have you for a mom! And I do agree with you that you have ridiculously CUTE babies!