Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Girls Camp!

This year, Danny insisted that I join him for the day he was spending at Girl's Camp. I loved the idea, and even though we hit some snags with child care we made it happen (thank you, Grandma Candy!). 

It was a stake girl's camp this year, so we were at Camp Woodland. Danny surprised me on the way up by stopping and buying a double camp chair so we could sit together. He's sweet like that. :) When we got there everyone was just hanging out, so we joined them. It was nice to be outside and chat by the river, as we watched the young women of the stake float down on tubes. Ah, girl's camp. :)


The highlight of the day was definitely the Bishop's Challenge. Danny got the heads up from the stake camp committee a few weeks prior as to what the challenges would be so that he could prepare. And prepare he did! One of the challenges was to be able to braid hair and apply make-up on a young woman in five minutes. But Danny knew he could up his game, so he had me teach him how to french braid! He practiced on Claire, Sophie, and me and was definitely ready to show the other bishops up. The other challenges included a cart wheel, hand stand, juggling, and a dunking contest. 

The girls from our ward that were participating in the challenge were excited to show the stake what the Turnberry Ward was all about! And the rest of the girls made up chants and cheered louder than any other ward. I loved it! When President Fowers introduced Danny, the girls cheered...

[Ghostbusters tune]
"When you're all alone,
And you need a friend,
Who ya gonna call?
BISHOP CALL!"


Personally, I think Danny looks rather dapper in a cape! :) Juggling was the first event, and Danny pretty much threw that one (ha! No pun intended!) He did a great cartwheel, but couldn't beat Bishop Brimley's cartwheel and back flip. But when it came to the handstand contest, Danny was about 1 second behind Bishop Bevan and almost had it!! Of all the hand stands he had practiced, I couldn't believe how well he did! He almost had it...



Now he really shined in the make-up and hair challenge. Of course Julie Davis was the hair model, and Danny managed that thick main like he had been french braiding for years! And he consulted with his make-up model, Mary Farmer, on color choices and applied quite the look on her. He won that challenge hands down, and the other bishops were amazed. It was awesome!




Unfortunately, none of our girls were able to dunk their bishop...


...but Danny was the only bishop able to dunk President Fowers! 



We enjoyed dinner and a devotional with the stake before adjourning to our camp for our own testimony meeting. It was a great campfire testimony meeting, and I couldn't help but marvel at where the Lord has guided my life since I was one of those girls bearing my testimony at girl's camp. I loved watching how much the young women in our ward admire and love their bishop, and it reminded me that all the sacrifice is worth it. It's crazy to think that there will only be a few more camps before Danny is released, but I hope I get to again!

No comments: