Tuesday, July 4, 2017

4th of July!

This year's 4th of July celebrations were a much-anticipated event...because the Downs were coming to town! So naturally Mark and Megan came too! We decided to do a 4th of July similar to the year that Luke was sick, which was the last time we were all together for the Fourth. 

We began the festivities at our house, prepping food and visiting. It was so good to see Jami's family again, and we all enjoyed visiting while we cooked. It's so fun for Danny and I to be able to host. I love seeing my house filled to the brim with some of the people I love best in all the world.






It was about 4:00 when we made the transition over to the school for swimming, our epic slip n' slide, and of course dinner! The kids....big and little alike...had so much fun! The pool was perfect, as always. And the slip n' slide worked better than I had hoped! Not only that, but everyone smelled delicious thanks to the tear free kid's shampoo we used to lubricate the slide. :)




































But for me...it was all about dinner. Well, the slip n' slide was my brain-child too...but once that was a raging success I was fully focused on dinner! :) I had worked on the menu for more than a week to get it perfect, and I have to say it exceeded my expectations. I had asked around for input on menu items, and then divided up the responsibilities so Danny and I weren't stretched too thin. Here was our 4th of July menu!

Danny's Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Gourmet Mac and Cheese
Smoked Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
Frito Salad
Two Pasta Salads
Red, White, and Blue Striped Jello Stars
Mexican Street Corn
Fruit and Fruit Dip
Grandma Candy's Baked Beans
Millie's Peanut Butter Bars
Smore's Dip
Julie's Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
Patriotic Rice Krispie Treats
Red, White, and Blue Punch

Seriously...this was the best spread we've ever had! We all ate until we couldn't move anymore...and then we went back for a few more bites. :) My Mom even invited a friend and her daughter to join us. She's from Brazil and didn't have anywhere to go, and we were happy to feed them and share our festivities. It was the most perfect Fourth of July afternoon ever!










After dinner some of the kids swam some more, others did face painting with Rosie, and others of us played a rousing game of Kubb. Basically we were killing time until it was dark enough to head back to our house for fireworks. :)






We have the perfect setup in our little elbow cul-de-sac for fireworks. We all doused ourselves in bug spray while the menfolk set up the show. Danny was a brave soul and manned the sparklers for the kids...and made it out with all his fingers unscathed! The Downs and the Martins provided the fireworks this year, and it was quite the show! 












I had high expectations for this holiday, and I wanted so badly for it to be amazing. It's kind of my favorite holiday. Amazingly enough, every part of the day exceeded my hopes and dreams. It was the perfect day, and it'll be hard to beat!

I am so grateful for this country. I'm grateful to have taken the time to teach our children about what it meant to be patriotic, and why our country is so special. I know men and women better than I have given their lives so that I could have this perfect summer day with my family. I hope to thank them someday. I know we live a life of plenty and privilege, and I also know that where much is given much is required. I hope to fill my end of the bargain.

Happy Fourth of July!!

No comments: