Sunday, February 26, 2017

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake Adventures

I have come to find that I really enjoy making cakes. It's a stressful endeavor for me, because I want perfection. But it's hard to practice much, since then you have to eat a whole cake. Don't get me wrong, we could totally do that. But Danny and I would be morbidly obese in what, a couple of months? :)

So when we made plans to celebrate Grandma Candy's birthday, my birthday, and Isabelle's birthday all together on a Sunday evening, I volunteered to make the cake! I've had this salted caramel chocolate cake pinned forever, and this was the perfect occasion to try it. 

I was irritated when my sponges weren't level (despite my having created and used my DIY cake strips), and I was seriously worried that I had under-baked them. But I pushed forward. The frosting was by far the easiest and most incredible chocolate frosting I have ever made, and I will never make another chocolate frosting again! I got the cake assembled and was pretty happy with how it turned out on the outside, but there was no way to know how it was in the center until we cut into it. I was dying for a perfect profile shot!

So when Grandma Candy called and said she was too sick for our cake party, I just about cried! After throwing a little bit of a tantrum, I decided we'd just cut Grandma Candy a piece and take it to her. I was having some of that cake! We cut her piece, and I held my breath as Danny lifted the slice. It was gorgeous! Probably my best cake yet!! And the flavor? Oh my goodness, it was divine. Simply and without fanfare the best chocolate cake I have ever had. I couldn't have been happier! The kids were pretty happy customers too. :)




Now I just have to find more opportunities to practice more cakes! Or maybe just do this one again. :)

No comments: