Tuesday, October 1, 2013

To My Sophie, On Her Birthday...

 
Oh Sophie, has it been five years already?  I can't believe it.  It seems like not too long ago, you were my sweet baby girl with your hair always done in a little mohawk.  And here you are...a big girl!  The time truly does fly when you're having fun.  And you, my dear girl, are a bucket load of fun!
 
You've grown up so much since I wrote your last letter.  With every year you grow older, we see more and more of your personality.  In some ways, you are the same as you were the day you were born.  But in other ways, you've surprised us.  I'm sure you will always keep me on my toes. :)
 
This year has been a difficult one.  Especially for you.  It was just a couple of months after your last birthday that Luke was diagnosed with leukemia.  You have always had such a tender and special place in your heart for your baby brother.  It was difficult for you to be away from Luke for the long periods of time that he was stuck in the hospital for treatment or for his bone marrow transplant.  You were always so excited to go visit him when you could, but it would also make it hard for you to be home without him.  You prayed for him, asked about him, and asked to "Face Talk" with him whenever you could.  Since the day we brought Luke home, you've been his biggest cheerleader.  Sophie, your love for Luke was some of his best medicine.  He loves and adores you as much as you love and adore him.  When we had to tell you that Luke's doctors couldn't help him anymore, and that it was very likely that Luke would die, you were devastated.  You cried and cried.  You kept saying that you didn't want Luke to die...that you would miss him too much.  I held you as you cried, and talked to you about the promises that are ours as an eternal family.  Your favorite song for the last year has been "Families Can Be Together Forever", so we sang that song together until your heart was at peace.  Since that fateful day, Luke has done very well.  But you never cease to pray for Luke to get better from his cancer and to have a miracle.  I know our Heavenly Father is quick to hear your prayers.
 
And on that topic, I have to say that with every sweet prayer you utter you teach me volumes.  You have always been able to pray to your Heavenly Father with the familiarity of a friend.  You pray for everyone in your life, and to be honest I can hardly remember a time you've asked for anything for yourself.  You can pray for a very long time, as you never tire of talking to your Father in Heaven.  I envy the ease with which you pray.  You are an example to me of what it means to seek a genuine connection with heaven. 
 
You are such a smart girl!  You've been going to Grandma's school for over a year now, and it shows.  You know all your sounds and numbers, and can read quite well.  You love to learn about animals and the earth.  You have a particular interest in wildlife, and love to point out animals as we drive or walk.  You seem to innately appreciate the splendor of nature.  For being such a bundle of energy, nothing seems to escape your attention.
 
You've matured quite a bit during this last year, and become so much more independent.  Finally, at long last, you sleep in your own bed!  All night long!  Your Dad and I could not be more proud! :)  You shower on your own (basically) and when you are feeling cooperative, you have no problem making your bed and cleaning your room.  You are a very good helper, when it suites you, and will usually stubbornly agree even when it doesn't.  You have a sense of style that is rivaled by no one!  You put together the most outrageous outfits, but you know what?  You totally pull it off!  You are truly comfortable in your own skin, and I love that about you.
 
In so many ways, Sophie-kins, you are the glue that holds this family together.  You so easily love everyone.  You can get very frustrated sometimes, especially with Johnny.  And there are days when you can be impossible to live with...though I am happy to report those days are much fewer and farther in between with each passing month.  But it's the way you sincerely care about everyone's well-being that keeps everyone feeling loved and needed.  We wouldn't be us without our Sophie Anne!
 
Happy Birthday, Sophie!  I hope you always know that I love you to pieces.  You and I are very different, and at times that is hard for me to navigate.  But it also allows me to appreciate your many gifts and strengths.  I admire you, Sophie.  And I am so terribly proud to be your mother.  I love you, Baby Girl!
 
Happy Birthday!!


No comments: