Tuesday, May 28, 2013

To My Claire, On Your Birthday...


Claire, I can't believe you're six years old already!  You are simply growing up too fast!  Your Dad and I laid awake last night and remembered what it was like to bring you home for the first time.  How much our lives changed that day, and every day since.  I've thought about this letter all year, trying to remember all the things I've noticed about you and want to tell you.  It will be hard to do...it's been a very big year!

You started Kindergarten this year, and that more than anything has brought out more of your sweet personality.  I have learned that while you are still cautious by nature, you are not a nervous girl.  This may seem contradictory, so let me explain.  You are still cautious when it comes to experiences where you perceive any possibility of danger or injury.  For instance, you still can barely ride your bike or your scooter because you're too afraid to go fast and fall down.  You are content to take it slow.  But when it comes to new experiences like school or social situations, you enthusiastically rush forward...full steam ahead!  I'll never forget how worried I was for you to go to school on your first day.  I remember being very frightened to leave my Mom and go to school on my first day!  But you gave me a quick hug and a kiss, and ran to class.  You loved your teacher instantly, and have spent the year making her cards and pictures.  You made fast friends in your class, and talk about them every day.  

I have noticed that you truly love learning.  You are excited to tell me every day what you learned in school, and you use that new knowledge to make a little more sense of your world.  I have loved watching you make connections, and then excitedly explain something to me that you've just figured out.  You have a simple, yet mature understanding of the world.  You've learned to read this year, and you sound out every word you come across.  I can already tell that you will develop a love of reading, and that you will travel to worlds beyond number in that imagination of yours.

You still have such a kind heart, Sweetheart.  You make friends so easily, and you love them completely and without reservation.  This is a gift.  You also have shown true love and devotion to your siblings over this last year.  While we have had to deal with Luke being sick, your Dad and I have watched you look after and protect Sophie and Johnny.  You have been patient with them, as they are much more emotionally volatile.  You still wake up every morning, without fail, smiling and chattering away.  I have never in my life known a better example of a morning person!  I love it.  

Claire, you are incredibly beautiful.  Scary beautiful.  Your Dad and I have watched as you've grown this year, and I'm not ashamed to say that there are moments that it scares us to death!  But when I get scared about you turning into a drop-dead gorgeous teenager, and how the world will pull at you, I feel the calm assurance that with only a little guidance you will know who you are.  I can sense that you already know it.  And that knowledge of your divine origin will make you more beautiful, and keep you safe from the buffetings of Satan.  You, my sweet beautiful baby girl, are destined for great things.

We love you, Sweetie!  There are literally a million more things I can say about you.  You are simply amazing, and your Dad and I both feel incredibly humbled to be your parents.  Thank you for coming to me first, and for patiently helping me learn to be a mother.  The learning curve is sometimes pretty steep for me, and I'm so grateful for your quick forgiveness and easy love.  Please know how much I cherish you.  I'm excited to see you grow another year, and I hope to solidify a deeper friendship with you.  Happy Birthday, Claire Bear!

Love, 

Mom

No comments: