Monday, August 27, 2012

To My Johnny, On His Birthday...


Oh son, you've done it again.  You've grown a year older despite my many requests to quit growing up.  I suppose it's really out of both of our hands. :)

Johnny, you are such a rad kid!  You are an absolute blast.  You've become quite the "class clown" over the past few months, and if anyone gives you even the slightest encouragement, you'll keep the silly antics going!  And you can be pretty silly.  You still use your dimple to your advantage, and I can hardly blame you.  Why wouldn't you?  It works on me every time. 

You love to play.  You especially love to play outside.  During this summer, you've just loved playing in Grandma and Papa's backyard.  You especially enjoyed some time in the evening when it was just you and Jack outside.  You'd run around the yard with your dump truck, and play with sticks with Jack.  You've also absolutely loved the pool.  Especially once we got you some water wings.  Now you'll swim the length of the pool, and love jumping off the edge into Daddy's arms.  

Speaking of Daddy, you've made him the happiest Daddy ever.  You have a real love for jets.  You can pick them out in the sky, no matter the distance.  Whenever you hear the engines, you stop and say, "Mama!  Jets!" in that sweet two-year-old voice of yours.  You have a few toy jets, including your big F-22, that you've had quite a bit a fun playing with.  And you love it when we make your bedtime friend, Panda, into a jet.  You even make the sound effects.

John, you love to learn.  Anything and everything.  You've had the chance to go to summer school at the preschool with Claire and Sophie, and even though you're much to young to attend you've been a model student.  Mrs. Moss was proud of you when you learned your "s" and "m" sounds.  The couple of times that I needed to keep you with me, you were absolutely broken-hearted that you couldn't stay.  Not because you want to play, but because you want to learn.  You also love Nursery on Sunday, and make it very audibly clear during Sacrament Meeting that you want to get to Nursery.  Your teachers, Brother and Sister Scofield, have a special place for you in their hearts.  You are truly a sweet boy.

You are also an independent little guy.  You love to clear you own place at the table, and will run and tell me that you're "all done!"  You're also learning to pray, and you do a great job reading your verse during scripture time.  You also have a few favorite songs to sing, including "I Am Like A Star" and "I Am A Child Of God".

Johnny, you are such a good and happy boy.  But don't get me wrong.  You've been warming up to being two for quite a few months now.  You can throw a fit like nobody's business!  The melodrama is over the top when you throw yourself, writhing and crying, onto the floor at the littlest provocation.  You are also quite the tormentor.  You find great pleasure out of making your sisters upset.  But I must also add that you can be the sweetest little brother when you want to be.  And I'm pleased to say you've been nothing but an exemplary older brother to Luke.  You love that little boy with all your heart, and you are always concerned about where Luke is.  You have to give him a hug and kiss before bed, and you run to check on him the minute you get up.  I know you'll be best friends.

We love you so much, John.  You have so much greatness in you.  Your Dad and I can't wait to see the man you become, and we're confident we'll be proud of you.  Because we already are.  Even though it pains me to see you growing up so fast, I likewise could just burst with pride.  Grandma Candy used to read me a book during nap time called "I'll Love You Forever".  It had a line that I think sums up my feelings as I write this letter to you. 

"I'll love you forever.  I'll like you for always.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Happy Birthday, Son!  You're amazing, smart, funny, handsome, and sweet as can be.  We look forward to this next year with you!  Love you, John Boy!

No comments: