Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Week 36...or is it 37?


I'm a little confused as to how I should be labeling these posts.  Technically, I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow.  A number that I feel certain is wrong...I must be closer to 39 by now...but which is nonetheless accurate.  However, when I had my appointment on Monday, I was 36 weeks and 4 days.  At my previous week's appointment, I was 35 weeks and 4 days, which is why I labeled last week's post as "Week 35".  I'll be just short of 40 weeks when we go in for the section, so I think I'll label the posts according to what my appointment schedule is.  Which would make this Week 37.

Phew!  Now that we have that (very) minor detail cleared up, we can move on. :)  We'll start with my appointment a couple of days ago.  When I saw Dr. Davis, he said "Well, it looks like spring has sprung!".  I was surprised that he would think I looked all that much bigger.  I feel like I've hit maximum stretchage!  We started the ultrasound, and he got measurements on the head circumference and the length of one femur.  This is how he extrapolates an approximate size.  According to the size, I was registering at 40 weeks 6 days. :)  Dr. Davis then started to laugh, and asked me how big Luke was last week.  I answered that he was 7 lbs.  Dr. Davis shook his head, laughed, and said that the weight he was getting then was 8 lbs 12 oz!  That's almost 2 pounds in one week!  Now, I'm sure these aren't exact measurements, but if how I've been feeling this last week is any indication, Luke has certainly gotten significantly bigger!  Gigantic size aside, Luke looks great and so do it.  Well, my vitals do anyway. :)

I'm still feeling very much at the end of my rope.  Only now I feel my son's rather large head against my cervix every time I take a step, and it's made going up the stairs a bow-legged affair.  Thanks to the much cooler weather, I'm not nearly as swollen anymore, which is really nice.  But I'm having such a hard time getting comfortable, whether sitting, standing, or lying down, that I just feel miserable.  Church is pure torture.  Dealing with the kids in any kind of a patient way is still a near impossibility.  And three weeks still seems like a very, VERY long time!

I have spent more time over the last few days getting ready for Luke's arrival.  I realized that there are quite a few things that need to be done before I go to the hospital, but also plenty that I should have in order before I come home!  So, when I have some energy and am not otherwise occupied, I'm sorting and washing clothes, getting shopping done, and working to get everything organized and in order.  I just wish my nesting instinct came with more than just desire to get things done.  A little burst of energy would help a lot!

I hate complaining so much.  But I just can't wait to be past this part!  I did have a tender moment last night, though.  Danny has been out of town this week, and I've been taking care of the kids solo.  After a long day, and another bedtime routine in the books, I was feeling completely overwhelmed and exhausted.  I sat down, and felt Luke move around.  I put my hand against my belly, which I usually do, and I swear I felt his little fist.  I know it wasn't his foot, it was too small and in the wrong area.  But it was this perfectly round little protrusion on my belly.  I pushed on it, and he pushed back.  I had this fleeting image of his little hand wrapped around my finger, letting me know that we were in this together, and we'd make it through.  It was tender mercy.  One I'm grateful for.

Well, in just under 3 weeks, I'll actually have that little hand around my finger.  Baby steps... :)

2 comments:

Naomi and Family said...

That is so cute. What a little sweetheart! So sorry this has been so hard, and so so sorry Danny has been gone this week. That is never ever an easy thing to tackle! Especially at times like this.
I can't wait to see pictures of your handsome sweet guy! Almost done. (Though it surely feels like an eternity!!)

Unknown said...

Katie,

My heart goes out to you. I am sure this hasn't been easy and I hope the next few weeks fly by for your sake! Sometimes you just have to do 5 minutes at a time. If you can make it through 5 minutes you can make it through another 5. That is what I have to do sometimes when life gets so overwhelming. Good Luck and I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet little Luke!